Truth or Dare: Chapter 8

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.  ~Seneca

The funny thing about starting fresh at a new school is that you are constantly reminded about how you are completely new.  “You new here?”, “I’ve never seen you around before.”, and “Ha, it’s another short freshie.” followed me constantly around like a persistent stalker that you just can‘t shake off.  Honestly, I didn’t need any more reminders of my significant height difference compared to the norm of my age.  Nor did I need any reminders that I was completely new in a place where people probably knew each other ever since they were born.  Feeling extremely frustrated with this thought, I dug my way through a crowd of teenagers.  Have you ever tried pushing through a high school crowded with overenthusiastic adolescents on the first day back from Winter Break?  It’s like running under water.  Slow and very irritating after a while.  

First off, the school was small enough as it is.  And of course, teenagers being the teenagers we are, just needed to be in the middle of the school courtyard where everyone could see them.  No, of course they couldn’t take their own separate groups into individual hallways,  I thought sarcastically, dodging a football that was being thrown across the room like a missile.  I mumbled a few “excuse me’s”, shoving around people that still got in my way despite my warning, trying to find my way to the front office.  

“Whoa there, freshie.  In a bit of a rush aren’t you?”  I stared up, yes up, at the guy whom I accidentally bumped into.  

“My bad,”  I mumbled, feeling slightly flustered.  When a very confused girl bumps into a very nice looking guy, you would immediately begin to think that they would fall in love.  You know, love at first sight.

That definitely did not happen here.  So much for that theory.

“You look very, very lost.”  He peered down at me, his brown skater hair flopped over his eyes in a very boyish manner.  He was tall for his age, thus making me feel even more shorter than usual.  His dark jeans and black t-shirt brought out his lean frame.  Over it was a leather jacket.  One hand was loosely holding a skateboard, and I rolled my eyes.  So cool… I thought sarcastically.  He had large, brown eyes that inspected me very closely.  Feeling slightly like a museum exhibit, I backed away from him.

“Well, I feel very, very loss.”  I bit back before I had a chance to think. 

“Does the little, tiny freshie need some help from a fellow freshie as sexy and amazing as me?”  He used a taunting tone, running a hand through his hair.  “I think I can take some time out my busy schedule to help a little lost damsel in distress.”  He snapped out his cell phone and pretended to check the time.

“No thanks.”  I glared stubbornly at him.  Egotistical much?

“I take that as a yes,”  He immediately grabbed on tightly to my hand, and started pulling me forward.  Slightly flustered at the sudden touch, I pulled my hand back and glowered at him.

“You can actually take that as a no.”  I retorted, pushing ahead of him.  

“Come on.”  He persisted, following me around.  I grinded my teeth and shot him what I thought was the absolute ‘death look’.  Apparently, I didn’t look scary at all, because he smirked at me.  

“You’re not scary, you know.”  He stated as if reading my mind, grinning foolishly at me.  I frowned, my brows furrowing together.  What was with this guy?  Pressing my lips together, I searched around for a door that said ‘Front Office’ or in other words ‘Escape from This Egotistical Jerk’.  It’s somewhere in this area, I thought as I craned my neck to see over the top of some people.  No such luck.