Chapter 5

I knew I had to do something before dinner, I just had to. I opened my suitcase and pulled out my food bag, threw in my health supplies and a few pieces of clothes. I had to blend in with the people so I left on the dress but took my denim jacket as back up; lastly I took my phone and the charger. I got a piece of paper and wrote that,” I would miss them for everything they had done for me but I could not get married, I had no choice.”  I wrote a bit more and then with a shaky hand put it on my bed. I put on the locket mom had given me for my birthday, the one with her and dad in it and put it around my neck. With a last look at the room I made it to the wall and looked out. Thank God the house was a flat. I crawled out and dropped silently to the ground. I scrambled up and inched away till I was close to the car. I dodged behind it and then ran off in the opposite direction I had came from. I gasped and ran. PE was not my favourite class but I still get exercise to keep me at the optimal BMI. I ran and then stopped. I looked back and then walked some more. I had to get away. I saw a path through the trees and ran for it. “Gross!” I thought as my feet landed in a muddy spot. I clambered through with the shoes still intact; at least they were good for something.

                I made it to dry land and ran again. II was still running and walking some time after when I spotted an old rundown barn. I got inside. “Damn!” I thought realizing that I had no light. I sat in the corner where moonlight was pouring through a broken portion of the roof. I sat and then opened my bag. I took out pack of cheetos and nibbled on them. Mosquitoes were swarming like horsed of savages. I leaned back and spat out. One had got in my mouth. I coughed and then lay still. I could not believe I was doing this, I was running away and somehow I was hoping to find my way to my friend Maxine. She would know what to do. I mean wasn’t it illegal to marry at this age, Wait I though I’m eighteen but still I thought. I crossed my arms and lay my jacket on top of my head to ward of the mosquitoes. Somehow I managed to fall asleep. He was walking towards me, his wide brim hat and suspenders. He smiled and his tooth showed. “No!” I cried. I sat up and cried out as the darkness covered me. I grabbed at my face and then realized that it was my jacket. I sighed and took it off. I stared around me and then got up to stretch my legs. They felt cold and cramped. I gazed at the tumbling barn and then dug into my bag. I pulled out a pack of nachos my stomach was gnawing but I could not help it. I started off right after.

                I walked past several farmlands and got chased by a dog but my lunch time I was dog free but I was pain riddled. Somehow the shoes that dad had given me were not equipped for traveling and as such it was digging into my heel with every step I took. The buckle dug into my instep with every step. I moaned but still wore it. I was so stupid I did not think to bring another pair of shoes. I rested awhile under a tree and then continued my journey. I had no idea where I was but I would get to Maxine’s soon hopefully. I dragged myself until the sun began to sink in the sky. I sighed and settled under a tree. I had walked so much that I could not even think to eat instead I closed my eyes and let sleep wash over me. I awoke with the sun streaming on my face and groaned. My feet were aching like crazy but I had to go on. I crawled out of the tree and went on while snacking on a pack of potato chips. Around midday, all thoughts of running away were becoming doubts. I looked at the sun and then shook my head. I had come too far to go back now.

                By late afternoon I had sighted a satellite. I grinned. That was my first sign of hope. I only hope I could reach it before my body gave out. That satellite, I knew could only belong to someone, somewhere that had technology and that would be no way near here. I smiled and hobbled along. The bruises were blue black scars but I had to continue. I dragged my self until the satellite was closer. I could see it now. I hobbled on, eager to find help. Before I could so however my feet caught on a root and I went sailing over the ground. “No!” I cried. A pain instantly began to gnaw at my feet. Tears sprang to my eyes and I lay there unable to move my body. The cold wind bit into my leg and tore at the thin dress. I cried since that was all my eyes seemed to do. I lay down and cried.