Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Earl had the place looking surprisingly ready for our arrival in the short while we'd been gone to fetch the others. I transported everyone, plus the few belongings we had with us, by evaporation, being careful not to leave any trace to this location. By the time I arrived with the last of our things, Earl was visiting with the rest of the coven in a warm and friendly manner.

My mom and Krista commandeered the kitchen and set about making dinner for everyone. They insisted Earl sit down, take a break for a change, and get to know his guests.

"If everyone will tell me which rooms they're staying in I'll relocate your stuff," I said when there was a break in the conversation.

"You've done enough already," Vance said, pushing away from the wall and picking up our duffle bag. "They can carry their own luggage to their rooms."

Everyone quickly agreed, and I shrugged easily. "Just trying to help out." I smiled.

Taking my hand, Vance moved toward the cabinet against the wall. He let me go briefly to scoot the tall chest to the side.

"What're you doing?" Hex asked, staring at Vance.

"Taking Portia to our room," Vance replied, reaching for me again.

"You need to stay in the basement with the rest of us. It's safer that way," Hex stated, folding his arms over his chest.

"Portia and I will be sleeping upstairs," Vance said, placing his foot on the bottom step.

"You will not. I forbid it," Hex replied, standing as he spoke the order, and the room fell deadly silent.

Vance dropped my hand and the bag, and turned to face Hex. "Excuse me?" he said. "I don't think I heard you correctly. Would you care to repeat that?" He was fuming, his body seething as his irritation rippled just under his skin. I wasn't the only one who could feel it.

"I said I forbid you to sleep upstairs. With Portia's father gone from the coven, it's only natural I would step into his place here. I'm the eldest member of this coven now." Hex held his ground.

"And I am not a member of this coven," Vance reminded him, and Krista let out a small gasp. "Therefore you have absolutely no say over what I do, Hex. Just be thankful I tolerate your meddling and leave it at that."

Vance turned to pick up our things again.

"I have say over her," Hex countered, not backing down an inch.

"What?" Vance exploded, spinning to look at Hex again, and I knew he'd reached his breaking point.

"Portia is part of this coven. We think it would be safer for her to be below stairs," Hex replied.

Striding over to Hex, Vance stood squarely in front of him. "And Portia is my wife! Where I go, she goes. Period." His back was to me, but I didn't need to see his eyes to know they were flaming red at this point.

"Not if I can help it," Hex growled back at him and before any of us could blink Hex's body was flying across the room, slamming hard against the wall.

Immediately, he evaporated from the spot, popping directly in front of Vance and he cocked his fist back, punching him in the face.

I shoved my way in between them, just as Grandma wrapped her arms around Hex and Brad grabbed Vance by the arms.

"Enough!" Grandma's voice bellowed through the air, and the two men immediately quit struggling. "How can we accomplish anything if we're constantly fighting amongst ourselves? You two must learn to work together!"