Chapter 15

Chapter 15

One long nap, four over-the-counter pregnancy tests, and one magical medical exam later, I finally convinced Vance I wasn't pregnant. He'd whisked me out of the juice bar, not even letting me walk on my own two feet, before placing me in the car and rushing me back to the hotel. I kept trying to tell him I had just gone too long without eating anything and had eaten too fast when I did.

But he wouldn't hear any of it, almost certain I was expecting a baby, and I thought I felt a distinct moment of disappointment flash through him once we were sure otherwise. Staying by my side, he catered to my every need until I fell into an exhausted sleep.

A couple hours later, I awoke, finding him lying next to me, staring at me with worry in his eyes. I burst out laughing at his expression, which caused him to purse his lips together.

"I appreciate your concern, but I really am fine," I said, stroking the side of his face.

He grabbed my hand, holding it there. "I was really worried," he said, searching my eyes intently. "I couldn't live with myself if something were to happen to you."

"You're so sweet," I said with a soft smile.

"I mean it, Portia. I know I'm driving you crazy with my constant hovering, but you're everything to me," he replied apologetically. "I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, but I need you to know how I feel. When it comes to you, nothing is more important."

"I understand." I didn't want to hurt his feelings by making light of his mood. "But I'm not going anywhere." Leaning forward, I gave him a long lingering kiss. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me tighter against him. I could feel his panic and unease at the situation through our bond.

Breaking the kiss, I continued to stare at him. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he replied. Reluctantly, he released me and got off the bed. "Do you think you could eat something now?" Going to the writing desk, he picked up a tray with cheese and crackers on it.

"I can try." I sat up, fluffing the pillows behind my back and scooted against them. He sat on the edge of the bed and placed the tray onto my lap, then began to break off pieces of cheese and lay them on the crackers, handing them to me.

It was all I could do to keep from smiling. I could easily do this myself, but he seemed desperate to help somehow, so I let him. "Where is everyone else?" I asked, attempting to redirect his attention elsewhere.

"They went back to Lankton's," he said, picking up a glass of juice from the nightstand and handing it to me. "They said for us to take the evening off and just enjoy resting here."

"That was nice," I replied, swallowing a small sip of the drink before biting into another cracker. "I know Shelly is getting pretty worn out with all this, though. I feel bad creating more work for everyone else."

"I know. But we really need to figure out what's going on with this Awakening thing."

I agreed, nodding. "Okay. Enough." I held up my hands. "I can't eat another bite."

"Whatever," he protested. "You haven't even eaten enough to keep a bird alive."

I laughed. "Vance. My stomach has been upset today. I'm going to get sick again if you keep trying to force feed me."

Sighing, he dropped the cracker he held back to the tray. "Fine, but at least let me draw a bath or something for you. Maybe that will help relax you a little more."