Chapter 19

Chapter 19

It was evening when we finally finished dinner and gathered to discuss things once more.

"So, let's try this again," Dad said, sending a warning glance toward Vance and me.

"Wait," Vance said abruptly, and all eyes turned to look at him. "I have something to say to everyone."

"Go ahead," Dad replied.

"Well, first I'd like to apologize on behalf of Portia and myself for our behavior earlier. We've been under a lot of strain lately, as you all know, and we'd reached a breaking point. I know this doesn't excuse the way we acted, but we're both truly sorry for any discomfort we may've caused any of you during our little tirade."

Everyone nodded in understanding as Vance continued.

"The second thing I need to tell all of you is, regardless of however we decide to handle this thing, neither Portia, nor myself, is to be used as the person who will draw my dad out into the open."

Everyone appeared surprised by this.

"Under the circumstances, we feel it's in the best interest of our relationship to remain together in our approach," Vance said. He reached over and took my hand. "Using one or the other of us is just too difficult for the person left behind."

There was silence in the room as the coven absorbed what he was saying. I knew this had been difficult for him to say. He felt strongly he should be the bait in this situation, since we were dealing with his father. I knew he was doing this for me, to protect my feelings.

"All right," Dad said after a minute. "We appreciate your openness, and we'll see what we can do when and if the situation arises."

"Thank you," Vance said, hugging me close. "It means a lot to both of us."

Dad turned to face the rest of the group. "Does anyone else have anything to add?" When no one answered, he continued. "Very well then, I took the liberty of drawing up some surveillance itineraries. Basically, it'll just be more of the same. Watching the warehouse, which I think Juan could easily do for us, and keeping a heavy scrutiny on the house, or possibly tailing Damien if the need arises. Are we all onboard with that?"

Everyone seemed to agree.

"Now obviously we can't afford to spend Vance's entire trust fund renting fishing boats to keep an eye on the place. And after what happened before, I think it would be in our best interest to remain away from the main marina just in case things aren't as patched up as we hoped they'd be with Enrico and his crew. My suggestion is the purchase of a motor boat and trailer, something small enough we can pull it into the secured parking lot here during the day and take it out at night when we need it."

"I think this is a great idea," Vance agreed with Dad. "I'd also have two motors put on it. One more powerful that we can get some speed out of, and one that'll run quietly, so we can maneuver around without making a big distraction if the need arises."

"That's a very good idea," my dad agreed. "I'm also thinking evening surveillances would be our best bet. It was too hard to see into the window during the day last time. Now, I also need to know if anyone is having any pressing matters they need to return home for."

Several commented, saying they needed to go back to Sedona for work since their Christmas vacation time was ending.

"I'm encouraging you to go home and take care of things," Dad said. "I have no idea how long we're going to be here. If the situation becomes desperate, we can always fly you in."