Epilogue

Epilogue

Vance Mangum-

Not one day went by during the next three years where I didn't ponder over my decision, wondering if there could've been another way to save her, or if I had acted too hastily. Sometimes I would lay awake in bed as it ate away at me, constantly reliving my past mistakes and wishing there was some way to right those wrongs. I'd be lying if I didn't say I missed my witch. I missed everything about her, everything we had shared together.

Often, I closed my eyes and looked back at the first day I saw Portia and felt her emotions wash over me. She was so beautiful, her dark hair blowing about her in the breeze—her musical laughter permanently tattooed in my mind. I wondered if I'd known then what her life with me would be like, would I have had the courage to walk away and ignore her so she wouldn't experience so much pain? My heart clinched like it was in a vise whenever I imagined her finding love with someone else though. The greedy side of me said I would live through it all again just to have her—leaving myself to feel like the monster I'd always known I was.

Sighing heavily, I left the window and wandered back over to the bed, sitting on the edge and staring vacantly at my hands.

It was crazy that I held so much power, yet I rarely did anything with it. I didn't want to be some superhero, out to save the world. I didn't thirst for more demonic powers like most demons did. I simply wanted to be me—a normal guy, living his life.

True, "normal" guys didn't have to drink doses of witch blood at regular intervals, but one pint once a week wasn't too bad. I thought I had done very well at curbing those characteristics.

Clearing that hurdle had opened many doors for me, allowing me to test out of high school and enroll in college, where I was studying pre-med, of all things, at the University of Arkansas.

Using my healing characteristics with my powers, I felt I might be of some help in the medical world. I was determined to do something honorable with my magic, something I could be proud of, to try and restore the balance of all the awful things I'd seen it do—or done in my own life.

Using relaxation to help keep myself centered, I also pursued my hobby in greater depth and used some of my money to open a custom motorcycle shop. I loved working on bikes and designing new ones. I had no idea people would love it so much too, crawling out of the woodwork to demand my services. My designs and craftsmanship were done all on my own, without the help of magic, and while I appreciated them, it was nice to see others do the same. Working on those machines was very soothing, and it gave my mind time to think and sort through things quietly. Honestly, I enjoyed every minute of it.

My musings were interrupted by a white streak of fur when Portia's cat, Jinx, jumped into my lap. Swiping her tail widely, she knocked a photo over on the nightstand. I absently pet the cat while bent over and picked it up, pausing to look at the smiling faces of the coven members from Sedona.

They kept in constant touch with me, even though I made the choice not to rejoin them. After all that had happened, I never truly felt like I belonged there again, even though I knew they would welcome me back with open arms.

The loss of Sean was devastating to all of us, and it was hard to move past it. His sacrifice was not repayable. He'd never wanted to live as a demon, and it seemed he got his wish. The best way we could honor him now was to try to pick up the pieces of our own lives and move on.

Hex assumed Sean's role in the coven after marrying Milly, and they began actively looking to recruit new members to their group, trying to fill the places of all those they had lost. I grew to respect Hex, despite all our differences. He was a good guy and truly wanted the best for the coven. Milly and he seemed to mesh really well together, though it was strange for me to see them married since Milly had been widowed long before I knew her. I was glad they were happy though. There were getting to be too many widowed people in this family.

Stacey asked my mom to come live with her. They quickly became best friends, bonded by all they had lost and were a great comfort to each other. I gave both of them a hefty amount of Damien's money, figuring it was the least I could do to try to make up for all the horrors they had both been through because of him. Stacey quit her job at the hospital and opened up a restaurant right next door to my mom's new bookstore, and the two seemed to be getting along quiet happily.

Brad got a football scholarship and moved to California to attend school, but not before he surprised Shelly with an engagement ring and toted her out there with him. They'd been married for six months now and were deliriously happy, even with the occasional vision Shelly still had, which thankfully had nothing to do with me.

Life was moving forward, despite everything we had all been through. I was trying to come to terms and let my heart heal with it, though I found guilt a hard thing to overcome.

"Earth to Dr. Mangum." A beautiful, feminine voice broke into my thoughts, and I lifted my head, finding Portia standing in the doorway, still wearing her scrubs she had worn to her student nursing class.

My heart started pounding as I stared at my girl—my completely human girl—but still mine nonetheless, bound to me now only by her unconditional, unfailing love. Never once had she complained about my decision, instead thanking me profusely through her tears for taking the magic away and allowing her to have a life to live.

Just looking at her made my world brighten a thousand fold, and I smiled widely. "Well, what's the verdict?" I asked. "Did you pass your test?"

"You're the one who's going to be the doctor—I figured you should make the diagnosis." Walking closer, she extended a piece of paper toward me. I took it, looking down and feeling confused when I realized it wasn't a test at all, but a lab printout.

"What's this?" I asked, my heart racing, as I scanned the page, finally seeing what she was showing me.

Dumbfounded, it took me a second before I stood up and wrapped my arms around her, swinging her in a circle. "You're pregnant!" I said with a grin, burying my face against her neck.

"We're pregnant." She laughed, running her fingers through my hair. "You were a contributor too, you know! I wonder what it will be . . . a boy or a girl?"

"It's bound to be one or the other," I teased, and she laughed harder.

"If it's a boy we can name him Vance Mangum, Junior. You think the world can handle two of you?"

"If it's a boy we should name him Sean, after your dad."

Her eyes misted over, and I dropped her back to her feet.

"I would really like that."

"Then consider it done." Leaning in, I kissed her sweet mouth, the emotions running heavily through my body. I pulled her closer to me, wrapping my arms tightly around her as I desperately tried to convey my inner feelings, wishing I could still share that part of me with her.

I was so in love with this girl it overwhelmed me. She was the light in my life, the beacon always shining brightly in the darkness. I'd do anything in my power to keep her happy because I adored her, worshipped her—couldn't live without her.

"Portia, Portia, my sweet, beautiful, wonderful, pregnant, Portia," I thought, the words reverberating in my mind.

Gasping, she pulled away, staring widely into my eyes.

"What is it?" I asked, concerned at the sudden change in her demeanor.

"I can hear you," she whispered.

###    

Thank you for reading the Of Witches and Warlocks series!! 

If you enjoyed this story, you might also enjoy Book of Shadows: Fire & Ice, a retelling of The Trouble with Spells from Vance's point of view. You can read that book on Wattpad on LaceyWeatherford's personal page. 

Also, Vance and Portia's story continues on in the new sequel series, Of Witches and Demons. Book one, Coven, is available in paperback and book through all retailers.