Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Everyone had gone home except Dad and Grandma, and they were asleep in the upstairs bedrooms. I'd been lying for hours on a cot pushed up against the glass wall, needing to be close to Vance.

He hadn't awakened since he'd passed out in front of me at the bar, still slumped over on his side in the exact position they'd put him. I would've worried he was dead, except I could see his deep even breaths. Though I still couldn't hear anything from his mind, I kept trying to reach him mentally, but so far I'd had no luck.

Reaching out, I traced a finger over the divider, making tiny sparks in the magical current running through it. It didn't bother me at all, but then again, the magic wasn't meant to keep me out, but him in. The need for sleep began to threaten, and I yawned, watching him as long as I could before my eyes grew too heavy to fight it any longer.

I found myself standing in the beautiful field of flowers again, and I turned around, expecting to see him standing there—the field was empty, however. I sighed and sat down in the tall waving foliage, staring off into the serene space for a long while.

"Portia," I heard him whisper my name on the breeze.

I jumped to my feet, spinning around as I tried to spot him.

"Vance?" I called, my heart racing. "Where are you?"

"Portia. I need you!" he replied again. This time it sounded like he was right next to me, and I turned quickly to face him, but he wasn't there.

"Portia!" he growled. "Wake up!"

Instantly, my eyes popped open, and I was face to face with the demon-red eyes that had been haunting me.

"Help me!" he said, placing his hand on the glass. I saw the current was shocking him, but he didn't move away.

"You're awake! That's wonderful!" I said, a sigh of relief coursing through me.

"Please, Portia. You have to help me," he pleaded again.

"What do you need me to do?" I wished I could just take down this barrier and hold him in my arms.

"I'm thirsty. I need a drink."

"We left water for you on the stand beside your bed." I pointed to it. "There's food too if you're hungry. I'm sure you're feeling very weak now."

"No!" he rasped again. "I'm thirsty!"

"So go get a drink!" I replied, becoming frustrated that he wasn't listening to me.

He stood and angrily went to the tray, flicking it across the room with his hand, flinging the contents everywhere.

I stood, resting both my hands on the glass. "What're you doing?" I asked in irritation.

He strode back to the partition and placed his hands against mine, leaning heavily on it. I could see he was trembling.

"I need a drink, Portia. Please! Just come in here with me. I promise I won't take too much."

Suddenly his meaning became clear. He was thirsty and needed a drink of blood. He was asking to feed on me.

"I'm sorry, Vance. You know that's impossible."

"Bull!" he yelled, clenching his hands together and pounding his fists against the glass.

I gasped and took a few steps backward.

"Let me out of here, Portia!" He continued to beat on the barrier, the heat in his eyes flaring. When I didn't move or say anything, he pushed away and began pacing around the small space like a feral cat.