Chapter 9

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

Johann awoke in the dark, his first thought for his men and machines and made to sit up but was forestalled by the soft weight laying across his body and the soft murmuring voice 'mmmm.. Johann.. was ist?'

He sighed happily remembering where he was and lay back with his arm around Marta holding her close to him 'Nichts meine Leibe..' leaning down to his her forehead softly whispering 'Ich leibe dich..'

At that her blue eyes opened sparkling with love and desire, her hand reaching up for his cheek stroking it gently; he raised his hand to hers and held it to his cheek as he pulled her up to kiss her lips gently and smiled 'Knowing you are here.. waiting for me to come home.. keeps me alive Marta.. without you.. and the boys..'

Marta held up her other hand placing her forefinger to his lips 'Hush Johann.. there is no need for such talk.. we both know what is in the other's heart..'  So saying she slid down laying her head on his chest, her arms around him listening to his strong heartbeat and whispered 'Ich liebe dich Johann..'

They lay silently entwined together Johann lightly running his fingers through her blonde curls as she sighed 'mmmm Johann.. that feels so nice..'

At the tone in her voice he looked down at her, a twinkle in his eyes 'As the sun needs the rain I need you my love..' drawing her close in his arms.

_________________________

A sudden deep breath and his eyes snapped open in the dark.  For a split second he almost leapt from the bed until the gentle form laying across him stirred 'John?  What is it darling?'

He lay back relaxed and smiled down at Rhian in the dark.  'Nothing darling.. just me being silly.. forgot where I was for a moment..

She nodded in understanding and put her arms around him holding him tight 'Do you remember now?'  He laughed at the mischievous tone in her voice 'Difficult not to Rhi.. not with the love of my life in my arms..'  Pulling her up to him he kissed her softly gazing into her soft brown eyes which lit up at the touch and she smiled into the kiss as his hands slid up around her neck kissing her.  He broke the kiss briefly to whisper 'I think I missed my homecoming last night..'

A soft giggle was her response followed by 'So did I..' before her lips met his resuming the kiss with the passion of two lovers parted for far too long.

_________________________

It was past 8 am - or 0800 as Johann kept insisting on calling it to Marta's frustration 'You know I don't understand military time Johann!' - when the pair emerged from their bedroom; reluctantly but as Johann had pointed out he only had until the following evening before he had to be back on the base and he really shouldn't spend all of it in one room.  For one thing he wanted to spend time with them all as a family, to which Marta suggested a picnic, an idea Johann seized upon with pleasure, suggesting they might go out to Großmölsen, the place of his birth where both his parents were buried, which he had not visited since - he paused in reflection - before he had left for Spain with the Condor Legion, and even then it had only been a brief visit.  As they walked downstairs Marta smiled as he visibly relaxed chatting about his childhood in the small village obviously looking forward to his return.

As they entered the kitchen Bernhard and Tobias joined them and in a few minutes a hearty breakfast was being prepared.  Cold meats, sausages, cheese, various breads and jams, marmalade and honey. Soft-boiled eggs, cereal and fruit were discovered in the larder and added to the feast.  To complete the repast Marta found some Brötchen upon which to spread the jams, with tea and coffee to drink.