Chapter 24

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

Watching the staffel disappear into the morning sun, Garsteck chewed his lip.  He had no concerns about Grüber's ability to lead the staffel in combat, no his concern was for an understrength unit and the gaps that left not only in their defence but in that of the whole formation.  'I wonder how many others are operating without the promised replacements?'  The telephone on his desk rang and he turned sharply.

'Ja?  JG51 3, Major Gars..'  He smiled at the interruption.  'Marta.. it is good to hear from you.'

'Anton.. thank you for sending me Johann's things, it was very kind of you'

'Not at all Marta.. I knew you would want them back.'

'But how did you get them?  I know he always flew with his cigarette case.. he told me so many times.'

Garsteck paused about to speak, but his ear caught a click on the line, thinking 'I thought as much.. bastards!'  Realising though that he had to say something he replied.  'Yes.. he forgot it yesterday though Marta.. lucky for us as I was then able to send it back to you.  You will soon be able to give it back to him of course, when the invasion is over.'

In Erfurt Marta raised an eyebrow and looked at the telephone in surprise.  She knew very well that Garsteck shared Johann's views on the likelihood of the current air battle resulting in a successful invasion, however she knew there must be some reason, perhaps he was not alone or.. a shiver ran down her spine.  Did he think they were being listened to?  Gathering her wits she smiled brightly.  'Yes.. yes of course.. It is a pity.. I know Johann was eager to take part in the victory parade through London when it is all over..'

Stifling a chuckle Garsteck smiled.  'Good Marta.. you got the message..'  He laughed.  'Yes well I doubt they will delay the celebrations for Johann.. but at least he will be free again.'

Marta smiled.  'You are a busy man Anton.. I just wanted to call and say thank you for sending Johann's belongings home to me.'

'My pleasure.. wiedersehen Marta.'  He replaced the receiver, eyeing the instrument with suspicion, musing quietly.  'So.. I am not fully trusted.. as well to know sooner than later.'

_________________________

Marta replaced the receiver and was just about to return to the living room where she had been reading when she heard a knock at the front door.  'Who can that be?'

She opened the door still curious, to see a woman approximately 45, slim, dark haired with a friendly smile.  Arrayed around the woman were a collection of small bags, evidently all her personal belongings.

'Guten tag, kann ich Ihnen helfen?'

'Guten tag.. Frau Alfelt?  Ich bin Elke..'  At the blank look on Marta's face.  'Elke Leitner.. my husband is Franz.. he said..'

As she spoke Marta's memory of the last time she had spoken with Johann returned, and she recalled his mention of Elke.  She smiled warmly.  'Of course.. of course.. Johann told me all about you.. and what happened to your neighbours.  I am very sorry to hear of it.'

The relief on Elke's face was evident.  'Thank God.. I thought I had the wrong address for a moment, and it has been such a journey..'

'Ach where are my manners?  Come in.. come in.  There is a guestroom prepared for you on the first floor.  There is plenty of room with Tobias and Bernhard away.'