Chapter 4

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

Parting from Jung, Alfelt made his way to the Officer's Mess where he knew the rest of the staffel would be waiting for him.  As he entered the room they stood to attention and saluted, a couple he noted with a barely concealed grimace giving the Nazi salute accompanied by an overly hearty 'Heil Hitler!'  He returned the gestures with the Wehrmacht salute.  'Sets dich Herren', taking his place at the head of the table as they sat with his permission.  As he did so he glanced along the table and cursed inwardly noting the empty chair with single candle in place of a table setting, the Luftwaffe mark of respect for a fallen comrade, and not for the first time he questioned the impact on morale of the continued tradition, observing that he wasn't the only one to glance that way.  About to call the steward to bring in the meal he stopped and glared, noting that one space still had yet to be filled by its - to the best of his knowledge - living occupant.  'Wo istHauptmann Schüller?' he enquired icily.  Nervous clearing of throats and coughs greeted the question and he snapped 'Well?  I do not recall authorising more flying today, in fact I am damned sure I gave precisely the opposite order.  So, where the hell is Blau Führ..' as he spoke Karl Schüller's call-sign the penny dropped and he swore viciously 'Karl you fucking idiot!'  He slammed his chair back and stormed out of the room leaving the assembled officers looking at each other in silence.

Some had never seen Alfelt lose his temper, although it was legendary; others had been on the wrong end of it and winced thinking of the fate awaiting Schüller on his return.  A muttered comment broke the silence 'If I were you Karl I'd get shot down.. by the time the war ends and we get you back the Major may have forgotten his anger..'

The younger members of the staffel looked up in shock, whereas a rueful chuckle rippled through those who had served with Alfelt since Spain.  'Only if it's a bloody long war Gerhard..' was the dry response from the corner.

The tension snapped and the older members of the staffel laughed aloud.  Only they knew their joking masked their fear- and yes their guilt at not doing more to stop him.  Karl Schüller was an old friend to most of them, and they feared for him; it had been too long since any of them had felt the bitter taste of loss and they knew how it felt, but also they knew how dangerous it was to fly on raw emotion, even more so to fly alone.  This they knew was part of the reason that single missions over England had been banned during Adler Angriff.  Now only time would tell.

_________________________

Ashton left Corporal Salford and made his way to the Officer's Mess where the rest of the squadron - bar Red section who were still out hunting down the impertinent Junkers Ju-88 - would be waiting.  As he walked in acknowledging the salutes a part of his brain noticed the chairs on one side looked different, and he realised it was because they had been moved slightly further apart to disguise the fact three had been removed.  A slight twitch of the lips and he pushed it to the back of his mind, calling to the steward 'Jimmy!  What burnt offerings do you have for us today?'

A ripple of amusement flowed down the table at his comment as, a second later a mop of unruly ginger hair sans forage cap - he was allowed to omit it in the kitchen - looked around the door.  The face to which it was attached wore an aggrieved expression.  'Burnt sir?  I've never bur..'

Ashton laughed and cut him off 'No, indeed you haven't Jimmy, but allow me my little joke would you?'

The object of his amusement relaxed and nodded 'Yessir, of course sir!  I shall sally forth with your repast tout suite sir!'