Chapter 23

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

The moment was broken by the sound of gunfire and roar of a Merlin engine as the airfield defences opened up.

'Was im Teufel?'

Garsteck ran to the window looking out as behind him Grüber ran out to grab his flying kit, shouting for the rest of the staffel to follow him.

_________________________

'Shit!'

Ashton sideslipped violently to throw the gunners off their aim and swung around low, pulling his goggle down over his eyes  before he reached up with one hand to unlatch the canopy and push it back fully.  Immediately he felt the sting of the wind lashing his cheeks below his goggles.  The combination of evasive action whilst opening the cockpit canopy almost did for him all on its own as the Hurricane lost height and speed nearly clipping a hangar with the tip of his wing.

_________________________

A hand grabbed his arm as he ran for the door and Grüber swung round to see Garsteck pointing up at the Hurricane as it roared low over their heads, almost crashing into a hangar.  'He is crazy this one!  What the hell does he think he is doing?'

Grüber shrugged 'I have no idea, but if he keeps that up whatever it is, he won't be doing it for much longer!'

'No.. Erich.. wait a moment.. look!'  Garsteck pointed up, and following his gaze Grüber saw what had drawn his attention; the attacking aircraft had its cockpit canopy open, and while he took this in Garsteck spoke again urgently.  'Has he even opened fire?'

Grüber opened his mouth to retort, and closed it again just as quickly.  'Nein.. was..?'  The confusion evident on his face.

Whatever Garsteck had been about to say was drowned out by the throaty roar of a Merlin as the Hurricane returned for a second pass.

_________________________

Ashton straightened up for a second pass, mentally crossing his fingers.  'Please someone down there, put two and two together..'  Reaching down between his thighs he gripped the parcel tight in his left hand, and pulling back a little on the joystick he gained enough height to roll onto his side and dropped the parcel out of the cockpit.  'Now the tricky part.. getting back home..'

_________________________

Garsteck and Grüber watched in confusion as something fell from the cockpit of the Hurricane to the ground.  Shock froze Garsteck for a moment before he ran forward shouting.  'AufhörenSchießen!  AufhörenSchießen!'  Grüber ran after him, confused as to why he was ordering the defences to cease fire.

The gunners for their part could not hear him over the bang of their shells and incessant hammering the their machine guns.  However luckily, a Feldwebel glanced around and noticed them running towards his battery and shouted to his men.  'AufhörenSchießen!  Ach.. he is out of range by now anyway..'

Divining that his order had been understood, with the cessation of fire Garsteck changed direction, instead running toward the middle of the airfield where the mysterious object had landed on the grass.

'Herr Major!  Be careful.. it could be anything!'

Ignoring Grüber's warning, Garsteck approached the package and picked it up, turning it over in his hands.