Chapter 2

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

As the seconds ticked by the smile faded and John called the Control Tower.  'Control, Impi Leader.  Is my undercart down?'  The jovial tone in response had vanished.

'Impi Leader, Control, negative, only the right wheel is down.'

Ashton swore considering his options; bale out and lose a perfectly wor - 'almost perfectly' he corrected himself - ..king aircraft; attempt a belly landing and possibly lose a definitely perfectly working pilot.  Working the undercarriage control up and down the left main wheel light stubbornly refused to come on.  He made his decision and retracted both fully and called Control 'Control, Impi Leader; I'm coming in.. ask Chief Powell to fit a new prop would you if I'm not awake when we stop?'  Ignoring the response, if there was one he didn't notice, he shut off the engine noting with some satisfaction the two bladed propeller had stopped horizontally for once, so the chance of it digging in and flipping him over onto his back was reduced. 'Glad to see something's gone right!' he observed tartly before setting the flaps to maximum as the comforting roar of the engine was replaced by the more disconcerting whistle of thin air.  As a final measure he reached up and opened the canopy sliding it all the way back and locking it, knowing that if he had to be pulled out the rescue party would find it much easier to pull him out of they didn't have to hack through toughened perspex first.

As his altitude dropped lower and lower Ashton checked everything in readiness, only dimly aware of the clanging bells of the meat-wagon and fire-engine as they prepared for his crash-landing.  With his goggles pulled down he was at least spared the stinging of the slipstream in his eyes.  As the boundary hedge of the airfield flashed by below he dipped the nose selecting his landing point and pulled back sharply flaring the nose making the speed drop dramatically.  With a thump that almost knocked the breath out of him the plane hit the ground and slid across the grass leaving a long flat swathe behind it.  As the speed began to decrease he slapped the release of his harness, and at the very instant it stopped he vaulted the side panel not bothering to open it and landed on the wing, gathering his breath in a split second and then ran.  He knew very well that despite turning off the engine and the petrol flow there was always a chance of residual fumes or a spillage causing an explosion.  Only when he was a hundred yards away and had passed the fire-engine whose crew were busy dousing the aircraft to make it safe did he stop and sink to his knees.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up into the face of a concerned RAF medical orderly;

'Sir, are you alright? I can..'

Shaking his head Ashton accepted the arm assisting him to his feet. 'No, I'm fine, honestly.'  He gave a rueful grin 'I don't recommend the 100 yard dash in full flying kit though!'

The orderly chuckled 'Cup of tea'll sort you sir!  That's after Intelligence have finished with you', casting an eye across to the debriefing hut.

A growl was Ashton's response to that 'Bugger debriefing!  Bring me a cup of tea over would you?'  A smart salute was accompanied by a cheery grin and the orderly turned on his heel.  Rolling his eyes Ashton trudged over to the debriefing hut and stepped through the door.

'Take a seat!' was the cheery greeting, 'this won't take long, the others have already told me what they saw, I just need your agreement they're right.'  Stifling a yawn he recounted the detail of the dogfight as he recalled it and the Intelligence Officer smiled.  'That's what they said too.. another two!  Congratulations Squadron Leader!'