Chapter 20

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

While awaiting transport to arrive from Tangmere, Ashton stood with Alfelt, having dismissed the corporal and LDV contingent, assuring them he was more than capable of containing one German prisoner of war - at the term he noticed a disgruntled but curiously not unhappy look cross Alfelt's face.  To pass the time he turned his mind to the recent events, and the puzzle of how he had come to where he was now.  Barely missing a head-on collision; cockpit canopy jamming; the rueful realisation that having shot down his opponent the latter had a better chance of survival; impact of landing and then nothing until he awoke on his back laying on the grass.  He paused; that wasn't entirely true was it?  A vague recollection flitted through his mind and he chased it like a butterfly collector with a net after a particularly fascinating specimen.  Slowly the picture drew itself in his mind; the impact; a voice speaking German.. curious; a shot; hands dragging him; landing with a thud; and then nothing until he awoke again.

'For God's sake John put it all together!'

German.. a voice speaking.. no shouting.. in German.  One didn't have to be a genius to deduce there was only one German in the area, the one currently regarding him curiously.  The shot; well it could have been the corporal's rifle, except that having seen his handling of it Ashton concluded that had he aimed it at the cockpit latch he would not be here now to ponder over it.  Secondly, had the corporal been the one to release him he would have awoken to the ministrations of his rescuers, not in a state of being totally ignored while they attempted to execute the now-captive Major Alfelt.  That left the only other firearm, the Luger, and only one person who could have shot it.  That person being the only German speaker - himself excluded - in the vicinity.  The memory of the German parachute carrying its charge toward the same location as his landing cemented the growing suspicion in his mind.  At this conclusion Ashton raised an eyebrow looking at Alfelt and spoke one word.

_________________________

'Ach it could be worse Johann.. you are alive at least, and for the foreseeable future nobody is going to shoot at you!'

Smiling grimly at the thought Alfelt glanced up at the sky.  The clear cerulean blue of a warm summer's day was marred by the wisps of contrails from high flying aircraft; despite the dogfight having ended some minutes earlier, the lack of any appreciable wind meant the evidence of the recent conflict lingered for all to see.  He wondered who else of the staffel had been shot down, and if their luck had held as his had, allowing them to survive into captivity or whether he would learn of their deaths during questioning.  That was something he knew he would have to prepare for, however unlike some of his peers who had fallen under the spell of the Nazis, his experience of the British during the years - as it now transpired - between the wars led him to believe he would not be mistreated, and that his captors would obey the Geneva Convention.

Following the publication of Memoirs of Solferino by Henry Dunant in 1862 on the horrors of war, a series of three protocols had been drawn up and agreed in the period 1864 to 1929.  In addition a separate proposal had led to the creation of the International Red Cross with the deceptively simple remit of a permanent relief agency offering humanitarian aid during times of war.  These protocols were collectively referred to as the Geneva Convention, or more properly Conventions.  The first two protocols were for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field, drawn up in 1864 and for the Amelioration of the Condition of Wounded, Sick and Shipwrecked Members of Armed Forces at Sea in 1906.