Chapter 26

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction.  All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record.

The newly promoted Wing Commander J. A. Ashton stepped down from the First Class carriage of the train onto the platform at King's Cross railway station.  He blinked a little as soot from the engine's smoke caught his eyes and looked around, spying the exit he walked briskly out of the main entrance onto Euston Road, where he hailed a cab.

'Right guv'nor, where to?'

Smiling at the cheerful Cockney accent amid all the carnage strewn around, the detritus of the incessant air-raids, Ashton replied.  'St Bart's Hospital please.'

'Right you are sir!'  He turned to face forward and drove into the road, Ashton noting that the traffic was understandably light given the time of day - he glanced at his watch, 9:30 am - and the fact that most people preferred walking so that if an air raid siren sounded they could get to cover quickly.  Had Ashton been paying more attention he would have noticed that the cabbie failed to start the meter.

They carried along Euston Road for some time to the junction with Gray's Inn Road, past the junctions with St Chad's Place and Britannia Street along the way.  Not having been in London for quite some time Ashton tried for a while to retain his bearings and knowledge of the city's geography.

Argyle  Street passed on his right, Swinton Street shortly after to the left.  Just after Cromer Street, Gray's Inn Road bore left into Acton Street, but the taxi continued straight on, passing Harrison Street to the right.  By now Ashton had lost track of where they were, and said as much to the driver, who laughed.  'Just crossing Guildford Street now sir.. soon be there..'

Ashton nodded and sat back, content to let the man do his job.

At the junction where Theobald's Road met Clerkenwell they turned left onto Clerkenwell Road, crossing the junction with Farringdon Road.  Passing a substantial red brick building to the right Ashton wondered what it housed, but thought better again of disturbing the driver.

On the journey he caught glimpses of road signs and street names, at a confluence of several roads they turned right onto Goswell Road.  Shortly after another right onto Long Lane - quite a misnomer in Ashton's view, and he began to wonder with so many rights whether they were in fact driving in circles, but he dismissed the notion as idiotic.

The journey seemed to be taking more frequent turns, Ashton suspecting they were nearing their destination.  A left into Cloth Street, and right into Middle Street.  They crossed over into Cloth Fair, where the cab finally came to a stop and Ashton alighted, slipping his wallet from his trouser pocket.

'How much do I..?'

'Wiv respect sir, don't be daft.. you boys are doing your bit to protect us from the Jerries!'

'Very kind of you!'  Ashton smiled, tapping his the brim of his uniform cap and turned to enter the hospital.

St Bartholomew's Hospital was founded, with the Priory of St Bartholomew, in 1123 by Rahere, formerly a courtier of Henry I.  Inspired by a vow made while sick on a pilgrimage to Rome, and a vision of St Bartholomew, Rahere founded a priory and a hospital for the sick poor at Smithfield in London. Initially the sick were cared for by the brethren and sisters of the Priory, but gradually the Hospital became independent.  The Priory disappeared in the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII's rule with the Hospital governance passing to the City of London.  Over the next 400 years Bart's - as it became affectionately known to Londoners - saw a series of firsts; first physician, first surgeon, first woman allowed to study there, first School of Nursing, right up until the most recent first - in 1896 - the first use of X-Rays.