Chapter 12

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

Ashton groaned and glanced across the room, picked up a shoe and threw it.  A loud curse was his reward and a tousled head turned and looked over at him; 'What was that for?'

Ashton growled at him 'You do bloody snore you lying bugger!  Either that or a Wellington was parked in here all night with both engines on full power..'

Winslow rubbed his head where the shoe and caught him and swung his legs out of the bed, grousing as he reached for his shirt, pulling it on and buttoning it.  Ashton sighed, glancing at the clock - 0530 - and decided that he wasn't likely to get any sleep anyway so he may as well follow suit.  The pair were dressed in short order and as Ashton reached for his Mae-West and flying helmet Winslow cocked a curious eyebrow at him 'You planning on flying today Skipper?'

Ashton shrugged 'That is what we're here for Tommy, besides I want to get onto Group and find out where the hell our replacements are!'

Winslow nodded 'Fair enough.. I'll just pop back to my room and get my flying kit then..' and before Ashton could comment left the room.

Even so he felt obliged to make the attempt, calling 'Tommy!  Don't forget to knock!  First Officer Hetheri..' he shrugged '.. Oh what's the use?' and began counting in his head 'Five.. four.. three.. two.. one..'

An enraged shriek rent the still morning air.  'Don't you ever knock!?  Get out!'  This was swiftly followed by the heavy pounding of feet running up the corridor getting closer.

Amused, he poked his head out of the door and was greeted by the sight of Winslow rapidly retreating towards him with his flying - quite literally - helmet catching him in the back of the head.  He stumbled and picked it up, barely slowing his pace until he was back in Ashton's room, where the occupant did not spare his feelings in the slightest; Ashton was sat on his bed, head in his hands with his shoulders shaking.

He looked up at Winslow with tears of mirth streaming down his face, gasping as he slowly calmed down 'Tommy.. you idiot.. I tried to warn you.  Didn't it cross your mind there was a lady in your room, and she might not be up at sparrow-fart as we are?'

Winslow mumbled something under his breath and Ashton took pity on him 'Alright.. I'll go ask.. what are you missing?  Apart from your brain this morning.'

'My Mae-West' Winslow mumbled.

Ashton grinned 'Right.. you stay here and I will go ask the nice lady if you may have it.. and do try to stay out of trouble won't you?'

Another noncommittal grunt was the only response so he left, walking the short distance down the corridor, stopping at the door labelled 'Winslow, T. Flt/Lt' and knocked.

A sharp 'Yes?' came from within and he bit back a laugh before answering.

'It's Squadron Leader Ashton.. I wondered.. well Flight Lieutenant Winslow wondered.. if he might have his Mae-West please?'

The sound of movement came from inside the room, and a moment later the door opened ajar.  It appeared in the interim Hetherington had found time to dress, at least the only items missing were her jacket and uniform cap.  Ashton smiled 'Thank you.. and I do apologise for the cretinous behaviour of my Senior Flight Commander.  Rest assured he will be properly punished.'