Chapter 10

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

Ashton yawned and stretched, looking down at Rhian nestled against him, then looked at his wristwatch and sighed 'Time to get up Rhi..'

A murmuring grumble was the only response as she nestled in tighter 'No.. not yet John.. please..'

He smiled tracing her cheek with a fingertip, gently lifting her head to face him, and leaning down he kissed her softly on the lips 'We have to my love.. I have to see the boys into Cardiff, then visit Jane and..'

At the mention of Maythorpe's widow Rhian's face fell 'Oh John.. I do w..'

Raising his hand he placed a forefinger gently on her lips 'I promised didn't I?  As soon as this little lot is over I'll let Group take me off flying.. I do want to stay with the squadron.. maybe as base commander if they'll let me but either way I'll come off ops.'

She nodded gently and reached up to kiss him gently on the lips as he continued 'Anyway.. I have to get up.. I need the loo..' and chuckled.

Eyes wide in mock horror she batted him across the chest 'John Alfred Ashton!  Trust you to ruin a romantic mood with such a thing!'

Laughing he took her hand and kissed it softly 'Hush now.. you'd better let me go.. quickly!'

She rolled her eyes at him 'Go on then.. off with you!'

He rolled his legs out of the bed sitting up and grabbed his long overcoat before slipping out of the room down the stairs, being careful this time not to tread on any of the creaky steps.  Passing through the back parlour he entered the kitchen, and turning left let himself out of the house.  He swore softly as the early morning dew had left the flagstones of the little courtyard wet and cold on his bare feet and padded over to the outside toilet grumbling to himself.

_________________________

'Guten morgen meine Leibe..' the soft voice permeated Alfelt's dreams and his eyes opened slowly seeing Marta looking at him adoringly, he smiled in return kissing her softly.  Her eyes lit up seeing him awake 'What plans do you have today Johann?'

He cocked his head to the side in thought ''Well it will take me two hours or so to fly back to the staffel, an hour or so to get from here to Alperstedt.. call it three hours minimum, probably four, and I need to be back by the evening, so I should probably leave about midday or one o'clock at the latest.'  Seeing her face fall he smiled softly 'We still have a few hours before I must leave, let's make the most of them.. we cou..'

A sudden commotion downstairs brought both their heads round sharply, reaching for their clothes and hurrying to find out what the commotion was about, Johann's experience with hurried scrambles to action serving him well as he was buckling his belt and running down the stairs buttoning his uniform jacket even as Marta was still dressing.  The sight that greeted him was of his sons in what seemed an angry face-off with - he bit back the curse - the same SS Untersturmfuhrer he had exchanged words with previously.

His lip curled as he demanded sharply 'Was ist das?'

The Untersturmfuhrer blanched recognising him 'Herr Major.. I have orders.. your sons are of military age.. they are to report to..'

Alfelt growled 'What orders?  Show them to me.. now..'  A sheaf of papers were offered and he perused them sucking the air between his teeth.

'Wait here!'  Turning on his heel he walked into his study swearing softly under his breath; the orders seemed genuine but, he picked up the telephone 'Ja.. Luftflotte 2.. Oberst Keppel.. I'll wait..'