Chapter 11

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

A.N. Historians among you will notice I have decided to assign Alfelt to a specific unit; it seemed time to do so and subsequent chapters I have planned may require it to a degree. JG51 served for the whole war in most (if not all) the theatres I have planned - and if not artistic licence will come into play. Henceforth Johann commands IV./JG51 3 - that is to say Staffel no. 3 of Gruppe 4 within Jagdgeschwader 51. 

Arriving at Alperstedt Johann sought out Oberleutnant Reissmann who was gratified to see him, and to learn that the BMW was returned in pristine condition.

'You like her Herr Major?'

With a smile Johann nodded, 'Yes she is a dream to drive.. and not as many bad habits as my Messerschmitt!'

The younger officer laughed, and at Johann's request directed him to where Oberst Harstein was overseeing repairs to what looked like a badly mauled Junkers 86.

At his approach the Oberst smiled and held out his hand.  'Guten tag Herr Major.. you had a good leave I hope?'

Johann shook his hand and smiled 'Yes.. for the most part.  I had to visit the widow of a fallen comrade.. we were together since The Great War.'

Harstein nodded soberly.  'Yes, I was too young myself for it..' he glanced at Johann '.. although if I may say Herr Major you do not seem old enough yourself.'

Johann laughed 'Yes.. I was a naughty boy and joined the Imperial German Air Force at the tender age of 16 in 1917.  Karl.. my comrade.. did the same..' he held his hand up 'Yes.. yes I know I should not still be flying but they are sending children out now and..' He stopped abruptly aware he was voicing dangerous opinions to someone who although friendly was a stranger.

At his pause Harstein nodded 'Ach.. I know Herr Major.. I too think so.. but it is wise not to voice such opinions too loudly..' lowering his voice 'the verdammt Nazis have spies everywhere.. even in my own staff I suspect!  Anyway, it was good to meet you.. perhaps we shall do so again after the war?'

Johann smiled 'Yes Herr Oberst, I think I would like that, but now I must bid you wiedersehen and leave before I am posted missing!'  Harstein laughed and with that they parted company, Johann walking to collect his flying kit, Harstein returning to his stricken aircraft.

_________________________

Catching the bus to St Athan, John reported to the base commander and was directed to dispersal where his kite was ready to fly, he was gratified to see fully fuelled and armed; 'You never know what you're going to meet sir!' being the observation of the somewhat dour Scots Flight Sergeant.  Nodding agreement John took his flying kit and quickly slipped it on, pulling his flying helmet on last of all.  As he climbed into the cockpit he paused and looked back 'Have you been tidying up in here Flight?' His tone was amused as the cockpit was spotless.

'Force of habit sir!  We're a maintenance base here and we always like to return our charges in good order!'

John smiled 'Much appreciated Flight.. now could one of your lads give the prop a quick spin for me?'

The Flight Sergeant nodded, and as John went through his pre-flight checks a mechanic ran up and took hold of the propeller, calling 'Ready sir?'

John gave a thumbs up and as the erk swung the propeller depressed the starter hearing the familiar throaty roar.  With his left hand sliding the cockpit closed and right on the control column; dropping the left to the throttle he advanced it and taxied out to the main runway.