Chapter 13

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

'Raus!  Raus!'

Alfelt sat bolt upright, instantly awake swinging his legs off the bed.  Not waiting to get dressed he yanked open the door of his room and looked out, calling 'Was ist das?'  Seeing the back of Hauptmann Grüber he called 'Erich!  Was?'

The object of his attention turned and smiled 'Guten morgen Herr Major..'

Alfelt cut in 'Never mind “Good morning”.. what the hell are you doing?'

Grüber coughed 'I was just.. putting the new pilots through their paces.. to see how fast they would react in an emergency.'

Alfelt glowered at him 'And just when were you planning on advising me of this Hauptmann?'

Grüber winced at the use of his rank 'I.. err.. I am sorry Herr Major..' standing stiffly at attention, clearly expecting a severe dressing down.

Letting him stand there for a few seconds Alfelt shook his head 'So?'

Grüber looked at him confused 'Herr Major?'

Growling Alfelt queried 'So.. how did they do?'

Nodding in understanding Grüber permitted himself a smile 'I don't think they were expecting it anymore than..' he stopped and coughed, and Alfelt allowed himself a grin.

'You were saying Herr Hauptmann?  Anymore than.. I was perhaps?'

Grüber sighed 'Uh.. yes Herr Major..'

Seeing the worried expression Alfelt was unable to hold back anymore and laughed aloud.  'Alright now answer my question Erich.. how did they do?'

Grüber cocked his head to one side in thought 'Not bad.. both of them were fully dressed and bolting from their rooms inside three minutes.'

Alfelt raised an eyebrow 'Fully dressed?  Very impressive..' at which Grüber chuckled.

'Well perhaps fully is overstating it slightly.. but dressed enough to pilot a 109, which is all that really matters isn't it?'

Alfelt laughed in response 'True enough Erich.. and now that you have woken me up, I am going to have some breakfast', at which he turned away and walked over to the Officer's Mess to see what was available.

_________________________

'What the bloody hell..?'  The irate dishevelled head of Ashton protruded from the doorway of his room, catching sight of Flight Lieutenant Winslow he growled 'Tommy what in blue blazes are you playing at?'