41

I parked in the parking lot and walked into the hospital.

I hate the way hospitals smell. They smell like old dying people. Something about them gives me a creepy vibe.

I went to the ICU floor and found Mrs. Owens room.

I gently tapped the door and I heard a 'come in.'

Is she already awake?

I opened the door and closed it behind me.

I turned around and saw her lying in the bed reading a book. She squinted her eyes multiple times and was holding the book close to her face.

"Hello Mrs. Owens." I said in a low tone.

"Hi Bethany."She lowered the book and faintly smiled. She set it on her stomach.

"How are you?" I took a seat next to her.

She looked so broken. The way the wires where in her side, finger and chest. She also had the nasal cannula on. This made me want to cry.

Who ever did this to her must pay.

"I'm holding up." She tugged the blanket closer to her.

She folded the corner of the page she was reading, and closed the book.

"Mrs. Owens.... Who did this to you." I whispered.

"I don't.. I don't know." Her voice was becoming shaky.

I want to take her by her shoulders and shake her. She needs to give me answers.

"You have to know. Did you see the persons face? Anything?" I asked.

She has to know something. Anything!

"I was reading this book..." She picked up the book that was sitting beside her and showed me. " and before I knew it, my glasses were knocked off of me. But when I looked up, it seemed like a black shadow."She frowned.

That's why she was squinting her eyes and holding the book close to her face.

"Black shadow?"

"That's what it looked like." She shrugged her shoulders.

"So you think they were like, like covered all in black so they wouldn't be recognized?" I tilted my head to the side and looked at her waiting for an answer.

"I would imagine so. And I heard more than one person." She grabbed the water from the left side table and took a sip.

"More than one?" That's odd.

"Yea. But did they catch the person yet?" She asked me.

"I haven't heard anything. But if anything happens I'll let you know." I took her hand in mine and squeezed it gently.

"Thanks for stopping by." She smiled.

"I'll be back soon." I smiled back and walked out.

I'm glad that she is doing alright and is getting better. I originally came here to try to get some answers. But instead I didn't get any.

---

I made it home in one piece and got out the car.

This is so fucking frustrating. I need to get some answers to find out who did this to mrs. Owens.

I walked to the front of the door and saw Melinda sitting on the front steps.

"Hey." She got up dusted off the back of her jeans.

"Hi." I mumbled.

"Everything alright?" She asked.

"No. Just a tad tired." I shook my head.

"Would you like to come over so I can make you tea?" She offered.

That sound so good. But I'm going to have to pass.

"Thanks, but I just want to lie down." I smiled and unlocked the front door.

"Oh. Alright. See ya.." She waved and walked to her house.

I locked the door and set the alarm. I dropped my purse and walked to the bedroom.