Chapter 70

||There was no telling what would happen to them, but he loved her and he hoped that was enough.||

The sun was setting beyond the buildings, and Wanda rested her hands on the glass as she gazed out at the orange sky. She would miss New York, and she would miss the busy chatter and the buildings and the view from this very spot. She would miss all of it, so very, very much.

Two days had passed, yet she still felt sore and her head was still pounding with a headache that never seemed to end. She rested—an entire day—but when she woke from unconsciousness, there was still that lingering feeling of uncertainty traveling through her. It tasted funny and it felt unnatural, but she didn't know what to make of it.

Two days had passed since she last saw Steve, and when she woke the day before, she had begged Pietro to let her see him, but all he told her was that they were leaving and that was the end of the conversation. He was angry with her, for doing what she did and almost killing herself, but she didn't think it was a bad idea at all. She was there to kill the man who was planning on doing terrible things.

She didn't care if that made her a bad person as well.

Wanda spent that night crying, in her room in Tony's tower where she had spent months crying over Pietro. And now she had spent it crying over Steve, and how she knew he wouldn't look at her the same. Because she saw the way he stared at her when she stormed into the factory; she saw his expression go bleak and then petrified all in a matter of seconds. He looked completely terrified of what she was doing, and that hurt her, more than she could have imagined.

"All packed and ready to go, I see," her skin grew warm at the sound of Tony's voice, and she turned away from the windows and smiled at him. "Good, I can turn your room into a little gym."

"You already have a gym," she said, and she walked over to him and they both sat down on the couch. She remembered being in this exact spot, months ago, and it was odd how so much had changed in a short amount of time.

"It wouldn't hurt to have another one," he put his arm around her shoulder and she leaned into his body. And then just like that, she was crying again. "You're going to ruin my shirt," he joked, and she sobbed out a laugh, and he kissed the top of her head, which made her cry even more.

"I don't want to leave," she croaked, and her eyes moved around, and she took in the apartment that she had spent months wandering. It was in this exact room where she would sit and think about Pietro; it was this exact room where she listened to Bruce go on and on about matter and energy; it was in this exact room where Natasha taught her how to mix a drink, but wouldn't even let her taste it afterwards. So much had happened in this room, and it felt wrong to leave.

"We'll always be here when you come back, don't you worry."

"I'm sorry," she said, and she raised her head to look at him. "I'm sorry for what I did to you—for what Ultron made me do. I made you see terrible things, and I'm so sorry." Wanda tears were hot with frustration and guilt and Tony grabbed her hands and made her look him in the eyes.

"I know what guilt feels like, and I know all you want to do is apologize to everyone you've ever hurt, but you can't. Saying sorry to me won't change what happened, and you're going to have to accept that. But you can't keep torturing yourself about it, because trust me, it's only going to feel worse." Tony's eyes were lined with tears, and Wanda squeezed his hand because she knew how much pain and regret Tony had gone through, yet he never complained.

He was just always trying to do his best, and she admired that.

"I think I'll miss you," she told him, and he grinned.