Chapter 64

||She's something odd and uncertain, half of her was made of stars, full of death and filled with light; her other half was made of scars, full of life and filled with darkness.||

Part 1: The Attack

Everything was so loud, but so quiet all at once. 

Wanda rubbed her hands together as Steve went around, meeting the new mutants and telling them the plan. There were so many of them, it was amazing that they managed to stay hidden for so long without being detected. 

Emma truly had an army. 

The White Queen herself acknowledged her people, giving hugs to those who asked, and thanking them for helping out. Wanda could tell they were aware of the danger they were about to put themselves in, but everyone there had a common goal: to defeat Trask.

Steve guided the twins over to a clear path that headed straight for the bunker, his hand gently caressing Wanda's back. "Disarm the men of their weapons," he said to Pietro, then turned to Wanda, saying, "Don't hold back--not one bit."

"I wouldn't dare," she replied, gently holding onto his hand. 

From across the wooded area, she saw Katarina wiping her eyes. Had she been crying? Wanda couldn't tell, but from where she stood, it looked as if the girl was brushing away fresh tears. It was no surprise that Katarina was nervous, anyone in her position would be feeling the same way. 

Wanda brought her attention back to Steve, who was still touching holding onto her hand. "We need to be quick about this," she told him, giving a side glance to Pietro. "The longer this fights goes on, the worse it gets for us." 

Pietro stepped in, grabbing her arm and walking her over to a quiet area. Wanda looked over her shoulder towards Steve, and he just gave her a brief smile before turning back to the large group. 

Her brother held her face in his hands before speaking, saying, "Don't use your magic against the self-aware sentinels. They will replicate your powers and use it against us. Do you understand?" She wanted to push him away, and yell at him, but her mind ached as she realized he was right. 

Using her magic against the self-aware sentinels would only make things worse. 

She would have to be selective about who she used it against, and so she nodded her head, and Pietro bent down and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. When she looked around, everyone was staring at them, and she felt her cheeks burn. 

The mutants must have been curious about her and Pietro, because when she watched them carefully, she caught the glances they would give her. Wanda wondered what they thought of her, because they were not fighting to protect her or Pietro, they were fighting to protect themselves. Their Queen had asked them to fight, and so they obeyed. Wanda admired their loyalty, and she hoped that one day--maybe tomorrow or ten years from now--she would have the chance to make it up to all of them. 

The air thinned as everyone got in position, and Wanda even held her breath as she followed Pietro down the open path. Luckily for them, the moon was hidden behind thick gray clouds, masking them in darkness. For Wanda, all she had to do was move like a silent predator towards the men outside of the bunker. 

Each step made her fingers tickle with her magic, and that nervous feeling inside of her began to spread. 

Pietro gave her one last look before speeding off into the dark, his blue stream disappearing with the light wind. 

The already silent night fell still, and Wanda crouched down and listened. 

The zooming sound of her brother echoed through the woods, and the clatter of guns soon followed. He returned a minute later, picking Wanda up and running her straight for the bunker. He placed her on the ground gently, and her eyes glowed scarlet as she brought her hands up to the first man's head.