Chapter 30

||The more distressing the memory, the more persistent it's presence.||

She hadn't known how long she'd been sitting in the woods; minutes, perhaps hours, but time didn't exist when she was too busy thinking of the last five months. She worried that everything they had told her was a lie; a black veil that they placed over her to conceal the truth. But why? She knew it involved Pietro, she knew it did. 

 Wanda just couldn't figure out what was true and what wasn't. 

A surge of anger spread through her when she heard the sound of the jet, and she got up to her feet, walking back towards the farmhouse. It wasn't until that she realized how cold it was, and that the sun was rising up over the trees. 

It was early in the morning, and she had gotten no sleep. So much time had gone and she didn't even notice. 

Her eyelids felt heavy, but she forced them open and kept running through the trees towards the farmhouse. Steve told her he'd tell her the truth, and she wanted it, needed it, desperately. The woods seemed endless, but she found herself back in the open area near the house, and she saw the Avengers stepping out of the jet. 

They were all dressed in their suits, even Steve. She felt her stomach turn, but she swallowed back the urge to throw up. What ever the team was going to do, she knew it wasn't going to be good. The closer they got to her, the angrier she got; she felt her blood boiling beneath her skin. She wanted to hurt them for lying to her, for keeping a secret she hadn't uncovered yet. 

"Wanda let's talk," Steve called out, but she refused to listen, and she sent a hex bolt straight at him, sending him flipping back, hard onto the ground. The team shot towards her, first Tony, flying straight at her. She looked up, giving Tony a scowl before sending her hex straight at him. He dodged it, but he didn't shoot anything at her like she expected. 

"You have to let us explain!" Steve yelled, holding his shield in front of himself. Wanda watched as Natasha stepped forward, placing her guns on the ground and raising her hands up. When she saw Vision fly up, she momentarily lost her train of thought. He looked at her like he had never looked at her before: disappointed, confused. 

"I want the truth!" she screamed, keeping one hand pointed at Tony and the other at the rest of the team. 

"Wanda please, just calm down so we can talk to you," Natasha's voice was soft and smooth, but Wanda only got angrier, screaming loudly, her hands sending bolts of her red hex in all directions. The team moved into action, running towards her rapidly. 

Natasha moved first, skidding across the wet grass and kicking Wanda's leg forward, forcing her onto the ground. Wanda kicked Natasha away, her hands glowing brightly, but Natasha jumped forward, tackling Wanda back. Both girls rolled around, Wanda trying her best to free herself from the assassin. 

Without hurting her, Natasha grabbed Wanda's arm and held it back, but Wanda punched Natasha in the chest, forcing a hex out by accident. Natasha flew across the yard, luckily landing on a soft patch of grass. Wanda barely had time to recover when she saw Steve from the corner of her eye. She rolled to the side and sent a hex his way, but his shield protected him. 

Tony surged forward, but she used her hex as a forcefield to prevent him from doing anything. As she covered herself in her forcefield, she continued to walk towards Steve, scowling at him intensely. 

"You promised me the truth. I want it." Tony circled above her, but he made no effort to try and go against her. Steve stood calmly in front of her, and her fingers moved freely in the air, keeping up the forcefield. 

"Okay, I can do that, I'll tell you Wanda, but you have to calm down." 

"I am calm," she said through gritted teeth, looking over at Thor and Clint, who were both watching cautiously. "What have you been lying to me about?" she asked him, and Steve looked over at Natasha, and she shook her head at him, but Wanda stepped over, blocking his view from her. "Tell me."