Chapter 61

||I want to believe that something good can still come from all of this. That  my pain can be transformed into something beautiful.||

Hours had passed, and from where Wanda sat, she could see the city skyline out through the cockpit window. They had arrived in New York, and shortly, they'd be stopping at the Stark tower to refuel the jet and make final preparations. 

While the jet refueled itself, Thor would go out and scope out the area one last time before giving the team the green light, and then, they'd be off. 

Wanda unbuckled her seatbelt and stretched out her legs, purposely hitting her knee against Bucky's in order to wake him up. With a startle, he sat up, immediately wincing at the pain on his side. She opened her mouth to say something, but decided against it. 

Without wasting another second, she reached over and unbuckled his seatbelt for him, and he stared at her, confused, but gave her a thankful nod. 

From the corner of her eye, Wanda could see Pietro watching her, but she kept her attention on Bucky, helping him stand. "You're  bleeding through," she told him, looking over her shoulder towards Natasha. "Can you help me?" she asked her, and Natasha immediately stood, standing on the other side. 

When the jet landed, the back drop opened, and everyone began to pile out. The moon was at it's peak, and it's ivory light cascaded over all of them as they made their way into Tony's apartment. 

"I've got him," Natasha said, and Wanda released Bucky. The both of them walked straight to the elevator, and Wanda assumed Natasha was taking him down to the medic floor, where hopefully he'd allow someone to help him. That wound would take weeks to heal properly if he didn't allow his body to rest. 

The mutants took seats in the living room, talking quietly to themselves, and Wanda began to walk over when she felt someone grab her arm. 

Emma's face was shadowed by the dim lights of Tony's apartment, but even then, Wanda could see her crystal-like eyes gleaming perfectly. "Are you prepared for what is about to happen?" she asked Wanda. "The second you use your magic against the Sentinels, they'll replicate it, using it against you. It won't be easy to hold them off."

"I know," she said, twisting one of her rings around her finger. 

"Do you have any plans after this is over?" Emma asked, and Wanda thought for a moment. She knew she'd stay with Pietro, but she didn't know where they would go or what they would do. Would Tony allow them to stay? Would Pietro even want to stay? "Because if you don't, I have a friend who would be thrilled to meet you."

Wanda tilted her head, curious. "Who?" she asked. 

"His name is Charles Xavier, and...well, let's just say he is a brilliant man. A man who has heard a lot about you." 

"I would love to meet him," she said, and Emma gave Wanda a soft touch on the cheek before walking over to the other mutants. They all became attentive when she neared them, each and every one of them standing in respect to their queen. 

As if sensing his presence, Wanda looked over to find Steve stepping into the elevator. He kept his head down as the doors closed, and she made sure no one was looking when she followed after him. 

___

Down on the medic floor, Natasha allowed the nurses to clean up Bucky's stitches. From moving around after his surgery, he accidentally opened up his stitches, and the nurses begged that he sit and rest for a while before doing anything. 

When they left the room, Natasha kept her spot near the door, unsure if she wanted to stay or go. 

"You're angry," he stated, massaging the raw skin around his fresh stitches. "Why?"