Chapter 37

AN: Here's where the time gaps start to come in. Not edited.

4 months later

Jess

Things were going fine between Derek and I, but my father has approached me about ending school early. He wants me to go to college next year instead of continuing into my last year of high school, and I agree. I want to be a pediatrician for several reasons, but most of all because I want to work around children. Another greedy reason is that I've been privileged my entire life, and I can't imagine living a lifestyle where I ever have to struggle for money, and I don't want to live off of my fathers income. I'll be in school for 11 years maximum, I might as well get a head-start.

Hopefully I'll be able to go into school as a sophomore because of all the extra classes I've taken, but if not then that's even more tiring. I've never gotten anything lower than an A in my high-school experience, my father wouldn't allow it. Since middle school I've been trained to work hard so that I could follow any career I decide. As long as the career is stable my father would support me, so I never worried about paying for college. I just had to make sure I was over qualified to get into the schools I want.

I've already talked to my school about graduating early and what colleges I'm going to apply to. I've chosen: Stanford, UCSF, Perelman, Columbia, Vanderbilt, Cornell, and UW. All elite schools for my career. I've applied to all of them and I know which ones I want the most. I didn't bother applying to any back-up schools because if I don't get into any of these then I'll just stay and re-apply in my senior year.

I haven't told Derek yet, and I don't plan to, at least not until I know if I'll get excepted. There's a low chance that I won't get excepted into any, but I just can't find it in me to tell him yet. I don't want to go to school in New York, but if Columbia is the only school that accepts me then I won't even have to worry him. I feel terrible because I know that this is going to devastate him, but my career is more important to me right now. This decides the rest of my life, and I know what's best for me right now.

I sat on the balcony listening to my fathers friend, who is a girl, who we claims not to like, talk about how she's going to decorate for Easter. She's festive. She lives in Pennsylvania and coincidentally enough that's the school my fathers rooting for ... So coincidental. She's sweet though, I haven't talked to her much, but she doesn't bother me. She doesn't try to make conversation just to talk and get to know me, she only talks when she feels it's comfortable, and I like that.

College and Derek, two things I have to handle.