Chapter 30

Derek

Elaine, I believe that's her name, my mothers friend that is, her home is very charming. It feels welcoming as soon as one steps through the door. Her light hardwood flooring complements her cream walls with tan accenting perfectly. Several large windows were lined throughout her living room letting a sufficient amount of light in. Lots of green and warm tones such as brown and auburn red were decorated around her living room. I wouldn't mind living here, she even has a beautiful view of the snowy forest.

I walked passed the hydrangeas sitting on her table near the couch only to be drawn to the kitchen by the smell of my mothers sugar cookies. My mouth watered a bit, and I grabbed one from behind my mothers back. I took a bite into the delicacy truly feeling at home once more, I've missed my mother so much, and that includes her baking. I kissed her forehead and hugged her close to me. I didn't have to tell her that I loved her for her to be able to tell. I knew she could feel my love.

Father was being so over loving. He kissed my mother every chance he got and clinged to her like this was the last time he'd see her. Calm down old man, you've got a few days. We're only staying for four days because I have to get back to school.

My mother asked me how it was going and then talked with my father for about an hour. We played a few games on the wii, and overall I had a good time with my family and my mother's friends. At 8:00 my mothers friends retired for the night and went to bed, I guess they are early starters in the morning. The mood was going so good, so I wasn't prepared when my mother asked about Jess. My father stared at me, and I knew he was silently telling me to hold off on my answer.

"We aren't talking right now", that about as much as I can tell her right now. I could see the worry in her eyes, she knows how much I care for him.

"Aw baby, what happened?" I want to cry, I hate lying to her. My stomach tightened and I forced a smile on my face.

"Nothing Ma, don't worry about it". I looked to my father and he had a stern look on his face, that is what he wanted me to do right? "You know, I think I'm gonna go to sleep now. Good night Ma". I kissed her forehead before heading up stairs. I really hate this feeling right now, and all because I fucked up. When I do tell her I know she'll be disgusted, I can't take that look on her face. Just the look of confusion was enough to break me.