Chapter 68- He's likeable

I got out of bed to the sound of music. I hadn't slept all night and now I was waking up to the sound of music. As my foot hit the floor it bumped into something squishy. I quickly looked down. It was Flynn, he was sleeping on the floor. No wonder the door was open.

I snuck past him and walked down the stairs. My grandfather was in the living room dancing and the room smelled like cigarette smoke.

"Grandpa!,"I shouted before covering my nose and mouth. "Are you smoking?"

"Yes, child,"he danced.

"But you have cancer."

"I'm already dyin'."

"Yeah but are you trying to speed up the process?,"I grit my teeth angrily. "I have asthma."

He stopped and looked at me. "I forgot about that...Hold on,"he rushed over to the window and opened it then to the door.

I shook my head and walked into the kitchen. "This is ridiculous!,"I opened the fridge.

"Tell me about it,"I jumped at the sound of Nana's voice.

I looked at her.

"Good morning,"she sipped her tea and looked at her book.

"Morning.."

"Good morning is for respect. I already know it's morning, child."

"Good morning,"I rolled my eyes scanning the fridge again.

"I saw that little Friday boy in your room this morning. I'm guessing you two slept together."

"No,"I grabbed the milk and slammed the door. I walked over to the counter and grabbed a glass from the cupboard. "He's a Skylar and why would I sleep with him after hearing that my grandfather might drop dead anytime?...You guys sure aren't grieving,"I poured the milk into the glass.

"We're not going to sit around and cry for the next month or so,"she looked at me. "Oh no honey,"she stood up and grabbed the cup of cold milk out if my hand. "You're not drinking this. I'll fix you and Flynn something to eat."

I squinted at her. "You never cook or bake or whatever..That's grandpa's job."

"Well,"she walked over to the fridge,"your grandfather has taught me some things. Besides, we traveled half of the world in just a couple of months so..I've tasted many different dishes."

"Wait...,"I folded my arms,"When did grandpa find out that he was going to...die?"

She opened the cupboard and took down a large bowl. "In September."

"What? And you guys never bothered to call and say something? It's almost a new year Nana."

"Harley, your grandfather begged me not to tell any of you." She poured the flour into the measuring cup. "I wasn't even supposed to mention it to you, but my mother had to start an argument and I said it...Earl is going to die. That sparked your father's curiosity and..I had to explain it...Reach me the sugar, honey."

I grabbed the bag of sugar and handed it to her.

"We decided to pass here as our first stop..I mean, we traveled to different countries before we came here of course...but we're stopping here first before we go back to Trinidad."

"So two weeks meant two weeks?"

"Yep."

"But why can't you stay here until he...,"I blinked and a tear ran down my cheek.

"We need to back to tell the rest of the family. We weren't going to but after yesterday, it's better that way."

I sighed.

Flynn walked into the kitchen. "Good morning,"he scratched his head and walked over to us.

Nana watched me and tilted her head. I could tell what she was saying by her look. "Good morning".

I looked at Flynn. "Hey."

"Good morning..Flynn,"Nana smiled at him.

He smiled back then looked at me. "I love your grandfather's music by the way. What's it called?"

"Soca?,"I furrowed my brows at him. "I wouldn't expect you to like Soca."

"It's very..cultury."

Nana laughed.

"Cultury isn't a word, Flynn,"I shook my head at him.

"That's how awesome the music is. It's deserves a new word." He pinched my nose. "Now I'll be right back. I have to go explain to my mother why I didn't come home last night."

"Oh she knows,"Nana looked at him, stirring what ever she had in the bowl. "Margaret told her every last detail of how you were her daughter's only way to keep calm. Ridiculous,"Nana stirred harder.

"I actually think it's ridiculous too,"Flynn folded his arms.

She stopped stirring.

"I can't be your pacifier. You need to learn to cry without me."

Nana laughed again.

"Now will you both excuse me. I have to go ask your grandfather for a list of the songs he's been playing." He walked away.

Nana smiled at me. "I hate that little boy. He's likable,"she laughed.

A smile spread across my face. "He is isn't he."