Chapter 12: Wood

After Skylar led a crying Diamond out of the room, we were left in a stunned silence.

"Evalynn...was pregnant?" I said after a while when Harry had gone to bed. "W-what, when?"

"I don't know," David said. "I'm just more concerned about what she did with the baby, and why she's not pregnant now."

"You think...you think she had an abortion?" I asked.

"Maybe..." David shrugged.

"Absolutely not!" Tony thundered. He stood up, and glared at David. "Absolutely not! That girl is my best friend! I know her better than anyone! She would never, ever have an abortion!" Tony was dangerously close to David at this point. "And I don't wanna hear you say another fuckin' word about it, do you hear me?!"

David held up his hands. "Alright. Okay. I'm sorry, bro. Take it easy, Mexico."

Tony gave him an icy smile. "I'm from Spain, you uncultured shit."

David rolled his eyes. "What's the difference?"

Tony clenched his fists, but that was when I stepped in. "Guys, listen. It's late. We're all tired and grouchy from out first day. We're upset because of Bryner, and what happened with the girls. Let's just go to bed, okay? Tony?"

Tony nodded, and took a step back. "Okay. Yeah. Whatever." He muttered something in Spanish, and stalked off to his room he shared with Harry.

"David? You okay?" His brown eyes bore into mine, and he set his jaw. He stood up and brushed past me to get to our room.

I sighed and checked my watch. 12:10. I followed David into our room and stripped down to my boxers and a white tank top. I crawled into bed, and laid there for a few minutes before getting back out and wandering barefoot over to the girls room.

I quietly tapped on the door, and glanced around nervously. I didn't want to get caught out of bed by the security guards or doctors that were still up.

The door slowly creaked open and one of the twins poked their head around the door. "Der?" She mumbled. Her hair was all messed up and her bright hazel eyes stared up at me in confusion. "What are you doing here?"

"I, uh..." I titled my head. "Evalynn?" I asked hopefully.

She shook her head. "Evie. Don't you know the difference?"

I blushed. "You're identical twins, Evie."

She grinned. "Everyone else can tell the difference. Well except for Harry, but that's no shocker there. But anyway," she pointed to her right eye. "I have a little brown dot in my right eye. Evalynn doesn't. And I'm guessing you're here to see her?"

"I know she doesn't want to talk to me, but I want to make sure she's okay."

Evie nodded, and opened the door a little wider, inviting me in. I sat down on a couch as she woke Evalynn up.

Evalynn stumbled out of her room as Evie went back to bed. "I told you not to follow me," she said. She came over and sat down next to me.

"Well it is about half an hour later, so it's not following, it's visiting. Are you okay?"

She shrugged. "I guess so. I mean, it's not everyday that one of your best friends blurts out your deepest secret in front of the person you had hoped to tell yourself." Her voice cracked. "God, I had really hoped Harry and David would never find out."

"Evalynn...what happened to the baby?"

"I had a miscarriage. During the battle. It was to much stress," Tears began rolling down her cheeks.

"Look," I started. But that was all I got out before Evalynn launched herself at me. Her lips crashed onto mine, and I froze in surprise.

Her hands were wandering all over my back, and I quickly grabbed her arms and stopped them. I pulled back a little bit. "Evalynn, what are you-"

"Derek?" She said, a little annoyed.

"Yeah?"

"Shut up and kiss me." With surprising strength, she yanked me down on top of her, and pressed her lips to mine again.

This time, I kissed her back. It felt normal. Natural. Like I should have been kissing her my entire life. Her legs tangled with mine, and my heart began pounding. Why was she doing this? She had just been crying, and now she was making out with me.

"Evalynn," I mumbled against her lips. "Evalynn, stop."

But she didn't, so I roughy untangled myself from her and quickly stood up. "Please, Eva, stop."

"Why? Don't you want to kiss me?" She titled her head.

"What? Oh God, of course I do. But I don't think you do. At least not now. You're just trying to distract yourself from thinking about the baby. And so you're using me. I can't help but think that if Harry or hell, even Chester were here you might've done the same thing." I looked down, avoiding her hurt expression. "I know you had a bad night. And I'm sorry Diamond brought up the baby thing, and I'm sorry you lost it. But you're vulnerable right now, and I'm not going to take advantage of that."

She twisted her hair in her fingers. "Okay. You're right. I'm sorry." She glanced up at me.

I knelt down and kissed her forehead. "You should go to bed,"

"Night, Der," she got up off the couch and sleepily walked into her room.

I walked over to the main door and looked back at her closed bedroom. "Night, Eva." I said quietly. "I love you."