Chapter 11: Metal

It was 11:34 when Harry finally came back into our room. Diamond and the girls had snuck over at 11:00 when the lights out was enforced, and we were waiting for Harry to come back so Derek and the twins could tell us some news.

"Where were you?" Derek asked. "Lights out was half an hour ago,"

"So why are the girls here?" Harry asked sourly. He kicked off his shoes, and started walking back towards the room we shared.

"Derek and I saw Bryner today in the diseases lab," Evalynn said suddenly.

Diamond sat straight up, ripping out of my arms. "What?! Already?!"

Skylar stiffened. "And I'm only now hearing about this?"

"Excuse me!" Evie cleared her throat. "What am I, chopped liver? I was there too!"

"What's so dangerous about her anyway? What can she do?" I piped up.

All four girls turned to stare at me, their faces expressionless. Skylar sat on the edge of her seat, and pointed to a scar on her neck. "This is from when I was fighting her, and she threw a knife at my neck. That big scar on Diamond's eyebrow? She did that with her nails. She can teleport. She's telekinetic. She has increased strength and stamina-"

"Yeah, but so do you girls," Derek said. "And I'm sure us guys will get it eventually soon,"

"She's stronger than us!" Evie said, exasperated. "She knows how to fight with a sword, and she's exceptional at hand-to-hand combat!"

"Was it scary? Going up against her?" Harry asked quietly.

"Absolutely. It was terrifying. There were so many chances to kill her, but Skylar kept missing. I guess she wasn't strong enough." Evalynn glanced at Skylar who looked down.

"I could have done it." Skylar said, still staring at the groud. "I could've killed her if I really wanted too,"

Evalynn went white. "Excuse me?"

"I had her up against the wall, my sword at her throat. This was before I came back with the wall of water. I was ready to do it, I really was." Skylar's voice shook. "But there was something in her eyes, I think it was fear. I couldn't do it. I couldn't kill her. And not just because she looked afraid, but I had trusted her. For the first three years of my high school life, I could always count on her for stuff. I had trusted her with so many of my secrets, so many of my fears...I couldn't kill her." Skylar's eyes traveled the room and locked onto Evalynn's. "But now I think I'm ready."

Evalynn's eyes were blazing, and she stood up, shaking. "You had the chance to kill her, and you didn't?!" She jabbed a finger towards Skylar. "Are you insane?! Evie almost died because of you!"

"Evalynn! That wasn't her fault!" Diamond said sharply.

"Oh, shut up Diamond!" Evalynn snarled. "Stop defending her! You always defend her! You're like her little fucking pitbull, always stepping in! She doesn't need your damn protection!"

"Hey, you shut your whore mouth, Evalynn!" I snapped. "There's no need to talk like that to Diamond!"

"Don't call her a whore, Sparks!" Derek shouted at me.

"Why not, it's not like she never had sex before!" Diamond fumed.

"So what?!" Derek cried. "I've had sex before!"

"Yeah, well you've never been pregnant, have you?!" Diamond fired back.

Everyone in the room suddenly stopped shouting. Diamond went stiff. Evalynn sat roughly down and looked at the floor, face bright red. Derek's eyes went wide, and Skylar slumped back in her seat.

"Well, shit." Harry murmured.

"Evalynn, I'm so sorry, I-" Diamond started, but Evalynn quickly ran out of the room, brushing a tear out of her eye.

Derek stood up to follow her, but she turned around. "Don't follow me," she said, her voice thick. She slammed the door shut.

Evie stared at Diamond. "What the hell is the matter with you?" She followed Evalynn out the door.

"It was an accident," she said quietly, tears forming in her eyes.

Skylar stood up, and heaved a huge sigh. She held out a hand to Diamond. "C'mon, Di. Let's go to sleep,"