Chapter 47: Earth

"I thought you said there weren't any fucking wolves in Germany!" Evalynn hissed in my ear.

"I said there was 120!" I snapped back.

We were currently up in a tree with Tony and David rested securely in branches high above us.

Wolves were currently on their way to the tree, being drawn to the scent of David's blood pouring out of his leg.

"I"m gonna go see how close they are." I whispered.

"Be careful," She gave my shoulder a squeeze, and then turned around to make sure Tony and David were still safe in the tree.

I slid down the tree trunk, and landed on my hands and knees. As soon as I landed on the ground, I knew I had made a huge mistake. They were close-really close.

Fear paralyzed my muscles, and suddenly I could no longer feel the vibrations through out the earth. I was unrationally afraid, but then again, this wasn't a controlled clone with a gun; this was a pack of wild, unpredictable animals complete with sharp teeth and claws.

And I had never fought something like this before.

Eyes widening, pulse quickening, my eyes flicked all around before landing on a dark shape, roughly fifty feet away. My breath caught in my throat, and my mouth went dry as I tried to make out the shape under the cloudy sky and shadows of the trees. The dark shadow moved and turned to face me. It became all the harder to try and get back up in the tree, when two pairs of green glowing eyes met mine.

"Diamond?" Evalynn called down. "How close are they?"

"Eva." My mouth moved but no sound came out. "Eva." My heart was pounding in my mouth, my tongue feeling like lead.

More glowing eyes joined the one pair. One, turned to two, which turned to three and then there were so many glowing eyes I lost count.

"Diamond?" Evalynn called out sharply. "Diamond! What do you think you're doing? Get up here!"

I wrenched my stiff muscles off the gound, and placed my hands on the trunk, ready to climb, but immediately froze again as a low growl met my ears.

I cautiously turned my head, just in time to see one of the wolves break free from the pack and begin running toward me. Anyone else would have had the sense to climb back up the tree, but when I get scared, I tense up and freeze. So that's exactly what I did.

I squeezed my eyes shut, ready for the blow, and within a fraction of a second I felt it; only it came from the wrong direction. I was roughly tackled to the ground, and a split second later there was another thud as the wolf ran full force into the tree.

The dark blur that knocked me over, spun back around and smashed something thick and heavy down onto the wolf's back. The wolf's spine snapped with a sickening crunch, and it collasped heavily on the ground. Derek's face appeared above mine. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? What the hell was the matter with you, why didn't you move?"

"Scared." I gasped. "How'd you move so fast?"

A muscle twitched in Derek's jaw. "Tony isn't losing you again. Get up in the damn tree, and stay there."

***Skylar's POV

You would think I would be afraid. Of the wolves. For my friends lives. For Jamie's life. You would think I would be happy. Happy that we survived. Happy that Evie was okay. You would think I would be feeling some sort of emotion, any emotion. But I wasn't; I felt numb.

After Derek saved Diamond from the wolf, and sent her back up in the tree, Evie took Jamie and stayed up there to be with David and the others.

Everyone else stayed down to fight off the wolves.