25. Breaking the Heart

I’ve never been in so much pain in my life. 

Not even my worst hangovers in the world, nor falling off of a horse during summer camp and bruising my body, nor losing my virginity can beat this pain. Forcing my eyes open, they practically feel like heavy weights, I almost want to use my hands to prise them open, however my heavy right arm won’t move. Come on, Imogen, open your damn eyes. 

A few seconds later, they are open and I’m unsettled once more that I appear to be in a hospital room. Again. With no one around. Searching the room, I try and find something to catch someone’s attention, to come and give me some water for my dry mouth and scratchy throat, when my mum comes in and immediately breaks down in tears.

‘Oh Imogen!’ She exclaims, rushing back to the door. ‘Doctor Wong, she’s awake. Quickly, she’s awake!’ She calls out and two doctors follow in behind her and look at the menagerie of screens beside my high bed, before looking at me. 

The elderly Chinese doctor looks at me and introduces himself, ‘Imogen, I’m Doctor Wong and this is student Doctor Eden. How are you feeling right now?’

‘In pain,’ I admit. I look down at my right arm that is wrapped up and frown. ‘I guess that’s broken then.’

‘We think it’s a sprain, actually. We think it’ll heal better if we keep it wrapped up and in a sling rather than plaster casting it.’ 

I nod, taking in what he says before asking, ‘Can I have some water please?’

He nods and Doctor Eden hands me a plastic cup and assists me with my other arm. ‘As well as a few cracked ribs, bruising to your thigh and a few superficial head injuries, you made a very lucky escape. Can you remember what happened?’

I pause for a few moments before saying, ‘I was driving along and there was torrential rain with lightning and then something ploughed into my side. I’m guessing it was a car.’

He nods. ‘You are incredibly lucky, Imogen. You were unconscious when the fire brigade and ambulance got there. Your boyfriend rapidly responded and called for help.’

‘Ozzy?’ I say out of habit, before everything dawns on me. ‘Oh God. Oh God, oh God, oh God!’ Panic sweeps across my face and I look at my mum. I don’t even need to say the words to which she knows I’m going to admit. ‘I remember. I remember everything.’ 

‘Oh Imogen, that’s fantastic!’ And then she begins to cry again and I have to give her a half arm hug. The doctor asks me a few more questions, before changing my pain relief and checking how my bandaging, before leaving us alone. He explains he wants to talk to my previous doctor from Neurology and Encephalitis unit regarding my regained memory. Not a few moments later, my dad knocks on the door and comes in. 

‘Hey honey, how are you doing?’ He asks, bringing a coffee over for my mum. ‘What’s the verdict?’

‘She remembers!’ My mum bursts in. ‘She remembers everything! Immy, finish this story, what happened when we were in Greece and you were 6.’

‘I fell on a pile of bricks and broke my collar bone,’ I tell her, slightly happy that I can remember and even more petrified that I can remember everything. 

‘What about when you were 17. What grades did you get for your AS levels?’

‘A, A, A, B. I dropped Geography.’

My dad even has little tears in his eyes and he brings us all in for a hug. ‘You better call Elle. She stayed with Alice and Daisy for the night. She’ll be thrilled’

‘What time is it?’

‘Nearly midday Monday. You’ve been asleep ever since you got here yesterday. Come on,’ he says to my mum. ‘We’ll go out and bring you lunch back while you talk to your sister. What do you want?’