54 • sleepover

Marie wrapped Abel in a warm, motherly hug when he arrived. Austin dropped him off in his car before leaving, claiming that this weekend was for Marie and Abel. Abel curled into Marie. This level of comfort and acceptance was what he had always wanted from his own mother, but he now knew it would never come.

After a final extra squeeze, Marie released the young man and ushered him into the house. They sat on the sofa of the living room, each on a side. Marie arranged herself comfortably while Abel sat almost ramrod straight.

"You haven't been eating, Abel. What's wrong?"

He sighed with a heavy heart. He gave a condensed version of last week's events: "I came out to my parents, and my mom didn't...doesn't...approve. She disowned me." He ended with a noncommittal shrug.

"Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry to hear that. How about your dad?"

Another shrug. "Haven't talked to him."

"Well," she frowned, "you need to. I'm sure he's worried himself sick about you. I know Austin's worried."

That sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach fell even more.

"I don't want to give you an ultimatum, but you two love each other. He's the kind of person that will give you his whole heart and soul. If you aren't willing to do the same, I don't know if you're right for each other." She sighed, fighting back her own tears of concern. "I know you love him, but he deserves to know that you do."