Chapter 33

Klaus's P.O.V.
The cold air touches my skin as I stand in the bayou, it's dark, and the high trees cover most of the sky. Suddenly I hear footsteps, running through the woods, catching my attention. I turn my head and through the trees I see two familiar figures in the dark.

"Elijah... He's after us... We have to run..." A familiar feminine voice says, the voice that I fell in love with. Penelope Gilbert.

"I will hold him off. You run, take your children and run." Elijah says as he hands Penelope a small child.

"No... I can't leave you here... He will kill you." Penelope says to Elijah.

"Penelope... Get your children out of here. Get them to safety." Elijah says. I emerge from the trees but they don't notice me. Penelope is holding Hope on her hip and a small baby swaddled in a blanket.

"Okay... Please, be safe.." Penelope whispers to him. Elijah looks at her and leans down, pressing his lips against hers.

"GET AWAY FROM HER!" I yell angrily as I stomp towards them, but they don't notice me. It's like I am invisible. But within an instant, the white oak stake is drove through Elijah's heart and Penelope let's out a shriek. "NO!!!" I scream as Elijah falls to the ground and bursts into flames. Penelope's eyes flood with tears, and the culprit that has struck down Elijah, is none other than Mikael... The destroyer. Penelope starts backing away while both children cry.

"Mikael... Please... Please don't do this..." Penelope pleads as tears stream down her face. I try and move but my feet are glued to the ground.

"I WILL KILL YOU FATHER!" I scream at Mikael at the top of my lungs as tears flow out of my eyes. Penelope and I have had our differences but I have never stopped loving her, and I can't lose her now.

"Niklaus killed me... So now... I'm going to kill you..." Mikael growls at Penelope. Penelope begins backing away as she sobs. Penelope sets Hope and the infant down on the ground, next to each other.

"I'm sorry my babies..." Penelope says to them, knowing that her fate is set. My feet are still glued to the ground.

"MIKAEL I WILL DESTORY YOU!" I scream as Penelope turns around to face him. Mikael looks at Penelope and smiles devilishly before plunging his heads into her chest. "NO!" I scream horrified as she begins coughing up blood.

"And now... You die." Mikael snarls as he rips her heart out. When he rips her heart it, it feels like mine is being taken out with it.

"NO! PENELOPE!" I scream as her lifeless body falls to the ground. When her body hits the ground, Mikael disappears into thin air, and I can move my feet. I run over to Penelope, her body gray and lifeless. I take her in my arms and sob. "No... Please. You can't be dead. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I shouldn't have let you go. I'm sorry.." I sob as I hold her to my chest. The mother of my children, my wife, the love of my life, she's gone. Just like that, her existence, wiped away.

Suddenly I hear an infant's cry and I turn my head to see Hope sitting on the ground looking at me and the small baby, wrapped in a blanket crying. I set Penelope down and I go to my children. I pick up Hope and hold her to my chest.

"It's okay my littlest wolf..." I say to Hope as I hold her to my chest. I then look at the squirming, crying infant on the ground. It's so small, just like Hope was when she was born. I walk over and I pick up the small baby in my arms as Hope remains on my hip. "Hi..." I whisper to the baby, but when it hears my voice it stops crying. But then both Hope and the baby start crying and I look at them confused. "Sh.. Sh... It's okay..." I say to them, but suddenly I feel a stake go through me and blood comes spilling out of my mouth.