Chapter 57

*Hi guys, so the gif above has nothing to do in the chapter but I love it so I decided to throw it up there because Joseph Morgan is beautiful! But beside the point, this chapter will have many flashbacks in it so I hope you guys love it. Please enjoy! Xo*

*Flashback*
"P... I'm scared.." Elena says as she holds onto me tightly.

"I used to be scared of storms too, Lena... It's okay. I'm not going to let anything happen to you." I say to my six year old little sister as I wrap my arms around her tightly, both of us bundled up in our blankets to ride out the storm.

"Nellie?" Elena asks as she looks at me.

"Yeah El?" I answer, looking back down at her.

"You promise that you won't let the storm hurt me?" She asks me, looking at me with her brown doe eyes. I pull her a bit closer to me and rest my head against hers.

"I promise that I'm never going to let anything happen to you, Okay?" I reassure her as I look into her eyes. She smiles up at me and hugs me tighter.

"I love you Nellie." Elena says in an affectionate tone. I place a kiss on her forehead and keep my arms around her.

"I love you too, Ellie."

--------------------

The rumbling thunder snaps me out of my trance, making me let out a little gasp. Klaus looks at me, my gasp grabbing his attention.

"The thunder scare you, love?" He questions me as we continue to drive down the highway, the rain pouring on top of our car.

"It just startled me." I answer as I push a short curl from my face. I look back at Hope and Faith in the backseat. I see Hope beginning to fall asleep and Faith already asleep thankfully. "Maybe we should stop somewhere for the night. All of us are tired, we could use a break. Then tomorrow morning I'll drive for a few hours." I say to Klaus as look at him. Klaus looks at me unsure.

"Elijah told me not to stop driving until we are safe." Klaus says as he turns his head back to the road. I then realize where we are.

"Wait, Klaus where are we?" I ask him curiously. I fell asleep and just woke up like thirty minutes ago so I missed most of where we are.

"We entered Virginia about an hour ago.." Klaus answers me. An idea then pops into my head.

"Why don't we stay in my family's lake house?" I suggest to him, realizing that we are growing close to it. Klaus then looks at me, waiting for me to continue speaking. "When I died, it made the house have no owner, not even Jeremy since he died before me. It will be open, we can just go in there and spend the night." I say to Klaus trying to convince him.

"Penelope are you sure?" He asks me wearily.

"Yes I'm sure. It's in the middle of nowhere, we will be safe." I say as I reach over and grab his hand in a reassuring manner. I hear Klaus swallow hard but he reluctantly nods his head.

"To the Gilbert lake house it is." Klaus says as he applies more pressure to the gas of the car. Happiness swells inside of me as we drive down the road. We pass a few broken down buildings, the buildings make me recall a night that I had long ago, the night that changed my life forever.

--------------------

"Are you alright, Miss?" The handsome faced man asked me as I lay on the ground, that handsome faced man in the suit turned out to be none other than Elijah Mikaelson.

"Thanks to you I am." I recall saying in a grateful tone.

"Here, let me help you up." Elijah said extending a hand to me. I remember taking his hand, it was extremely cold to the touch and sent shock waves down my body.