Chapter 22, The Witch's Son

Chapter 22 

‘I can walk jerk, so if you’d be so kind as to let go of me’!

My constant complaining went unnoticed by the officer that was practically dragging me to Mrs Kingsmen’s office. 

Hunter had stayed back at the room, probably trying to calm himself down after our little disagreement.  When he realised that he’d run straight into the wall opposite our door, he was pretty embarrassed; it was hilarious.

After being down this corridor only once, I knew very well which corridor would hold the evil witches office.  As the officer stopped suddenly at Mrs Kingsmen’s office, I saw it was Steve who stood guard by the door today instead of some random asking for a beating.

‘Good to see you again Steve, care to tell your friend here to let me go’?

Steve cocked his head to the side, humour clear on his face; ‘I’m glad someone else is finally having to go through what I’ve been burdened with for who knows how long’.

Snorting at Steve, the officer behind me (which I still didn’t know the name of) was pushing me into the office, knocking gently before using his forceful arm to sit me down in a chair in front of the witch’s desk.

To my luck, the witch was nowhere in sight.  Growling angrily into my seat, Steve was quick to take a seat next to me in the plush leather couches that were in front of the desk.

‘Hey Steve, do you think you could get me a drink’?

Steve looked at me, raising an eyebrow at my question; ‘you can’t just sit there quietly for the few minutes before the boss breaks the good news to you’?

Shaking my head in disagreement, Steve didn’t move from his seat facing forward to the witch’s desk.  Just as I thought I was in for a moment of harassing Steve, the door behind us flew open as I saw a stressed Mrs Kingsmen entering the room.

‘Sorry I’m late, nice to see you could make the appointment on time Miss Maunders’.  The smirk now sitting no that woman’s face was making me sick to my stomach; looking into her eyes now I could see they were the same as Hunter’s making me want to vomit on her posh shoes.

Giving Mrs Kingsmen a dirty look, she sat herself slowly down at her desk, pressing the crinkles out of her suit.  Her eyes were instantly on me, occasionally looking to her pet Steve; I could tell I wouldn’t like where this conversation was going.

‘So Miss Maunders, are we settled in yet; I hear you have a nice gentlemen staying with you, how’s that going’?

Snarling in Mrs Kingsmen’s face, I said nothing watching the rage build up in her face.  I could see Steve in the corner of my eye, practically asleep and not paying attention.

‘I can see your stay hasn’t improved your mannerism Mrs Maunders but I have some news for you; we’d like to you to take part in a genetics program we run alongside our advertising firm’.

Was this lady serious, she kidnaps me then wants me to work for her and now she wants to promote me?

Getting up out of my seat, I saw her face scrunch up in disgust which just confirmed I didn’t belong here; ‘I don’t know what your problem is but I didn’t even want to work for you in the first place so forget it’.

I saw the brief flick of Mrs Kingsmen’s finger as Steve rose from his chair annoyed; he turned to me with a bored expression on his face.  ‘Sit or I will seat you’!

Crossing my arms I stood my ground, ready to go another round with Steve; ‘didn’t know you wanted to lose another round’.

Mrs Kingsmen interrupted our staring match, slamming her hand down on the table; ‘young lady, I don’t care if you don’t want this offer, you’re having it; I hope you enjoy your new job’.