Chapter 19, Criminal Record [Hunter's POV]

Chapter 19 

Hunter’s POV

Approaching my mother’s office, I knew she would not be happy about last night. 

The man at the door nodded in appreciation for my about to be efforts; ‘good luck kid’.  Despite not agreeing with my mother sometimes, she really did have good men looking after her, aside from the fact they could turn a blind eye and what went on around here. 

Slowly turning the door knob, Steve was already seated near her desk as her disgusted look reached me at the door. 

‘Sit down Hunter’.

I never understood why my mother had to treat Beck so unlike all the other girls she had taken on.  I guessed it was part because of Beck’s forever spiteful attitude; and I knew her getting arrested last night was going to haunt me sooner rather than later.

Taking a seat in the couch next to Steve, I noticed he actually looked fearful as well for what was about to be unleashed on us. 

My mother soon enough began this lecture, ‘do you have any idea what a criminal record means to our company’?

I didn’t know who the question was directed at, seeing Steve hesitating, probably having gone through this before but I answered anyways, ‘I could imagine it wouldn’t look good on a business resume, especially when the offender works here’.

My mother nodded, perhaps letting me get off a little more scotch free than I was worried about. 

‘And you Steve; you’re my best officer, how did that girl manage to escape your sights’?

Steve shrugged, half unsure what to say; ‘she simply went to the restroom madam and the club manager failed to give us any details about a window being in the girls’ bathroom’.

I could see a vein pulsing in my mother’s head, I knew my mother was furious at this statement; ‘we will not be using that venue again, that is for sure!  But do explain how Miss Maunders was allowed to go to the bathroom alone in the first place; what possible need did she have’?

If it wasn’t my enraged mother sitting before me, I would have cracked the joke that Beck needed to go pee, pee perhaps; but seeing as my mother was never into joking around I knew I would be the one that ended up explaining what happened.

‘Well mother, I may have given her some straight vodka to see if I could get her drunk enough so she wasn’t so on edge at the club.  I realise now I think about it, it was probably wasn’t the best idea but at the time, I honestly thought it would calm her down a bit’.

Steve chuckled the instant I said it, leaving my mum to glare at him evilly.  Sighing heavily, she seemed to understand the circumstances, ‘I know Miss Maunders can be a…..handful sometimes but next time you want to experiment with alcohol, please do it here where she can’t walk into walls when she’s drunk’.

I’m guessing mother hadn’t heard about Beck’s overdosing as Steve went on to explain; ‘actually we have found, by accident of course, that Miss Maunders reacts badly to pain killers sending her into a rather drunken state of denial’.

My mother seemed intrigued by this discovery; perhaps she was considering giving Beck hallucinogens as a permanent solution to make her cooperate.  As much as I wanted to please my mother, I really didn’t think it was a good idea having dealt with Beck first hand after the effects wear off.

Don’t get me wrong it was hilarious; Beck opened up more than I’d ever seen her before.  I could be near her without her losing the plot and attacking me like some wild animal but the after effects were what bothered me.