Chapter Thirty Four: Micah

Micah's POV:

When I was younger, I saw my daddy cry

And curse at the wind

He broke his own heart and I watched

As he tried to reassemble it

Declan turned to face me as he sang. I loved his voice. He had a very distinct and sensual voice that caressed the skin and warmed the soul. Always the shy one, Declan had never sung out loud, on stage, in front of a crowd of nearly three hundred. To say Declan had stage fright was an understatement. The only reason I know how good Declan's voice is because I stumbled upon him in the garage. He had his earphones in with his back to the door. He was singing Five Finger Death Punch's ‘Far From Home’ and I could have sworn he sounded like Ivan. When he was done he turned with a box in hand and spotted me in the door. He stood frozen like a deer in headlights.

                "That was beautiful." I said. Blushing Declan moved the box to sit on top of the car.

                "You don't have to lie. I know I don't have a great singing voice." He muttered pulling the ear plugs out. Coming into the garage I went to lean against the side of the car and grinned at him.

                "You're right you don't have a great singing voice. You have an exceptional singing voice." From then on he's never let me catch him singing. It's like he developed a sixth sense and knew when I was listening to him.

But darling, you are the only exception

You are the only exception

In the crowd couples began to dance with one another while Declan continued to sing to me. I felt like Drew Barrymore in ‘Ever After: A Cinderella Story’. I could see Sean and Megan slowly circling, Megan's head on Sean's chest and his chin resting on her head. Pulling the microphone from its stand Declan started forward towards me with his right hand outstretched towards me. I didn't care that everyone was watching. I didn't care about the teachers. That Mr. Mitchell was there watching me. I didn't care that the servers behind the buffet line had called other staffers in to witness this. Hell I didn't care that Freddy our audio/tech guy was standing at the edge of the stage filming everything. All I saw was Declan.

I've got a tight grip on reality

But I can't let go of what's in front of me here

I know you're leaving in the morning when you wake up

Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream, oh

You are the only exception

I let my fingers tangle with his and let him pull me to him. We stood there toe to toe with a microphone in between us. His eyes watched me as my eyes watched him. Slowly our heads moved closer and closer together. My heart was beating so fast I swore it was about to give out.

                'If it does please just let me get one kiss before I go.' I thought to myself.

And I'm on my way to believing

Oh, and I'm on my way to believing

At the end of the last note Declan dropped the microphone and pulled my lips to his. It felt like heaven. The ballroom erupted into cheers and screams as we kissed in the center of the stage. It was strange for me to be the girl this time when I was so use to being the guy but when I felt Declan's tongue tracing my bottom lip wanting in I didn't hesitate. Parting my lips I let him in and nearly died my damn self. All I heard was a low pitched guttural moan. I had no idea where in the hell it came from but when Declan pulled back a bit chuckling I was confused.