Chapter Twenty Eight: LKM

Laurie’s POV:

I paced back and forth trying to think of a way to tell Declan what I knew without telling him I actually went through his things looking for that damn letter that I wasn’t supposed to see in the first place. Ginger and Mildred watched me from the safety of my bed.

                “You could just tell him you found the letter…” Ginger said. Pausing I glared at her then resumed my pacing. There was no way in hell I could tell Declan what I did. If I told him I found the letter he would know I found the other stuff and I repeat I don’t EVER want to talk with him about his sex toys.

                “Okay, so telling him the truth is out. We need to come up with a plan.” Mildred said. Turning to her I grinned.

                “Thank you, at least somebody here is being reasonable.” Rolling her eyes Ginger lay back against my pillows.

                “I still can’t believe it’s Katlin who’s causing all this drama…. Never mind yes I can believe its Katlin starting all this drama. What I don’t understand is why? What would she have to gain from this?” Ginger sighed. That was the million dollar question on my mind as well. I mean yeah it would be embarrassing if everyone find out your ex-boyfriend turned out to be gay. That would make you question whether or not you were the reason why he switched teams but in Katlin’s case. She’s a bitch, a grade ‘A’ bitch.

                “What she would have to gain... Oh my GOD why didn’t I see this earlier…. I know what Katlin wants.” Mildred said standing from the bed. Pausing I turned to her while Ginger sat up from the bed.

                “What?” We both said in unison. Grinning Mildred reached over and picked up the flyer for the prom. Waving it in our faces she reclaimed her seat.

                “Prom queen. It’s all she’s been harping on since the beginning of the school year. It’s the only thing that’s ever really mattered to her. She wants that crown and the glory that comes with it. She knows she would never be able to win it without Micah’s help. He’s the ringer. Everyone will vote for Micah because of who he is. He’s the most popular guy in the school. If people think that Micah and Katlin are back together then Katlin gets an automatic vote for queen.” I couldn’t believe Katlin was willing to destroy another person’s happiness and sanity for a plastic crown and paste jewels.

                “Okay we know why she’s doing this so now we need to figure out how she could hurt Declan to make sure she doesn’t do it.” Ginger said taking the flyer from Mildred. That’s the bit that’s been worrying me. How would she hurt him? We were all in deep thought when Ginger gasped. Looking up from the flyer she shook her head and stood.

                “HER DAD!!” Looking to one another Mildred and I looked back to Ginger.

                “Declan received Athletic scholarship to State. Katlin’s father is the Athletic director for State University. That’s how she can hurt him. She could tell her father about him. Even though State’s a big school it could still damage his chances at getting on whatever team he try out for. No coach is going to knowingly put a homosexual male in that situation. Especially if he’s not come out… a few smart remarks from the team, next thing you know he’s being shunned by the guys in the dorms. Some asshole will get drunk and suddenly want to express his true feelings about gays and we’ll be getting a call saying either he’s in the hospital or he’s being charged with assault. Either way sucks.” Ginger was right. If her father wasn’t who he was I wouldn’t care but this was his future. She was willing to gamble with that without thought or care how it all turned out.