Chapter Thirty Three: Declan

Declan’s POV:

I saw Laurie walking over towards me with a wicked smile on her face. I was about to say something about it when Mr. Dawson started to climb the steps to the stage. After the music was turned down he cleared his throat and tapped the microphone.

                “Good evening and welcome to the Murphy Kennedy Senior Class Prom.” There was an around of applause.

                “I’ve been privileged to announce this year’s prom queen and king. Let’s get a round of applause for all our candidates.” Again another round of applause sounded. Scooting next to me Laurie started to cheer very loud for Megan who started to blush under all the attention.

                “Now this year’s prom queen is… Katlin Mitchell!" There was some applause but not much. I watched Katlin pull Micah close for a kiss then strut to the stage. As Mr. Dawson placed the crown on her head I let my eyes flash to Micah. He stood there glaring the ground. Before I could look away his eyes were connected with mine.

                "Now for this year’s prom king.... Micah Phillips!" The entire ballroom erupted into cheers and screams. Even though I was far away I could still see the surprise on Micah's face as he was pushed towards the stage. I felt a bit of pride as he climbed his way up there. I knew he’d win hand’s down.

                "How did he win Prom King?" Laurie muttered. Looking to her I could see a frown on her face. Elbowing her I shook my head and mouthed ‘Be Nice.’ Rolling her eyes she glared back at the stage. Taking the last stair Micah turned to the crowd. They were still screaming and cheering as Mr. Dawson crowned Micah.

                "And here you have it. Your 2011 Murphy Kennedy High Prom King and Queen... anything you'd like to say?" He asked them. Stepping forward Katlin took the microphone and sneered into the crowd.

                "All I have to say is thank you to everyone who voted. Also to that one special person... I win... you lose." Everyone looked around curious to know who Katlin was talking to. She stood there glaring out into the audience but I knew she was looking straight at me. Grabbing onto Laurie’s wrist I pulled her along towards the exit. I didn’t want to be here any longer if I had to listen to that bitch gloating on stage. After that Katlin went to her throne and plopped down. Looking to her Mr. Dawson frowned then looked back to Micah who stood there blank.

                "Mr. Phillips... anything you'd like to add?" I felt myself being pulled back by Laurie's superhuman grip. I kept trying to leave, because I didn’t want to hear what he had to say either. I didn’t want to hear how he loved and adored Katlin. I was strong but I wasn’t that strong.

                "Yes I do Mr. Dawson.... Thanks for the crown you guys. Even though I didn’t campaign or anything... thanks anyway. Also... I'm gay." It was like a rubber band effect. Laurie was pushing me one way and I was pulling the other but as soon as those words echoed over the sound system I came crashing back into her my eyes as huge as saucers.

                "I just came to terms with it a couple weeks ago... I kind of knew but living in this town isn’t easy so I kept it hidden. I tried to compensate with school and sports but I wasn't happy. Being suffocated by Katlin didn't make it any better either. I mean I've known him for years but I never did or said anything about it because I didn’t know if he was gay or straight. But I was always attracted to him. I was waiting for it click. I wanted him to actually see me as not just another guy but more. It took a minute for me to get the courage to tell him. I was scared. It was like one of those chick flicks where the girl melts every time she sees her crush... I melted  everytime I saw him." Standing from her throne Katlin tried to rush to stop Micah but Mr. Dawson grabbed her arm. Shaking his head no he pointed back to the chair. Chest heaving Katlin backed away slowly until the back of her legs hit the throne. Dropping into the seat she crossed her arms and glared at Mr. Dawson.