Chapter Twenty Nine: D.M.

Declan’s POV:

I sat there staring at the tux I would have been wearing if I was going to the prom. My dad had it tailor made. He said it was a tradition that his father started when he was in high school. McClane had one and now so do I. I felt kind of bad that I wouldn’t be wearing it after all my parents shelled out a pretty penny for it. Of course McClane kept saying ‘Fuck Micah. This is your prom too.’ No matter what the conversation was about that was his input. He either started the sentence with it or he ended a sentence with that. I’m not saying I don’t want to go, I do. I just don’t want to see him.

                “Hey monkey.” Turning back to my door Megan stood there with a dress bag in hand.

                “I brought a few friends.” She said. One after another the girls came trotting in with identical dress bags.

                “We went dress shopping today… it was awesome.” Laurie said plopping down onto the bed.

                “I can’t wait until Ferris sees me in this dress.” Julia giggled. They twittered among themselves for a moment then all turned to me.

                “What?” I asked. Looking to one another they stood.

                “You’re going to prom.” Mildred said. I was about to tell them the same lame story I’d told my parents about prom when Julia slapped her hand over my mouth.

                “Just listen.” She said. I sat there with her hand over my mouth until I licked her palm. Snatching her hand back she wiped it on her pants leg.

                “Ew Declan! That was so gross!” She yelled. Laughing I turned to Megan who sat down next to me.

                “Remember way back when… you said it would be great if I ran for prom queen. I told you I didn’t have the time and blah blah blah. You said I’d win because I’m so freakin’ awesome and yada yada yada… well. I’m in the top three. There is a chance I will be prom queen and I want my best friend there to share in this experience with me. So I’m asking you… we’re all asking you, please come to prom. Have a good time. Drink watered down punch and dance crazy with Laurie. Take a bunch of goofy pictures with me and just be a normal dull teenage boy for one night…. Please.” Looking to each one of them they had the same ‘Please come with us’ puppy dog look on their faces. If it was just Megan I could stay strong. Maybe even defend myself against both her and Laurie. But with Ginger, Mildred and Julia standing there I didn’t have a chance in the world.

                “Alright… I’m going to prom.” They all erupted into screams and cheers. After that Laurie went to try on her dress. When she came back all she got was cat calls and whistles. She looked better than good… she was smokin’. One by one the girls tried on their dresses. They went over hairstyles and makeup while I sat in the mist of them and listened. They were talking at the same time it was a miracle if they heard one another.

                “I want a change.” I said out loud. All conversation stopped at that moment.

                “What kind of change?” Ginger asked. That was a good question. I wanted something simple yet profound. Something that would make me feel different but also wouldn’t be a big deal. Standing I went to the mirror and looked myself over. I kept looking up and down until realized what I wanted to do.

                “So…. From that goofy smile on your face I take it you figured out what you wanted to change… tell us.” Turning back to the girls I shook my head.

                “It’ll be a surprise… okay ladies now that I’m actually going to prom I must prepare myself and that means I need you all to leave. I’ve got things to do and not a lot of time to do them.” One by one they changed back into their clothes. I walked them down stairs where they said goodbye to my parents and McClane who was still randomly shouting out ‘Fuck Micah. This is your prom too.’ After they were gone I turned to my mother and grabbed her hand. Going upstairs to the master bedroom I took her into the bathroom.

                “I need your help mom… if you do this I’ll consider myself paid in full for the shirt you destroyed with your spaghetti sauce.” Looking to me my mom nibbled on her bottom lip before sighing.

                “Tell me what I have to do. I swear it feels like I’m selling my soul to the devil sometimes.

Micah’s POV:

I watched Seven and a few of his friends playing football in the backyard. Or at least they called it football. They would line up like football players then one person would kick the ball. Mind you it’s a soccer ball. The others would try to catch it while the kicker ran around the bases in reverse. Confused? So am I. I was so invested in the game, actually trying to figure out what was going on I almost missed the alert beep to let me know someone had sent me a text. Jogging to the room I snatched it up to see Laurie’s number. Pulling the text open I went back to the backdoor.

                ‘He will B there. Make sure U 2 stay away from him. Banshee will B watching U like a hawk.’ I felt myself give a little sigh of relief. Declan was coming to prom. It’s been hell not being able to see him or talk to him. I wanted to tell him what was going on so badly. I could have sworn he would have gotten the message I wrote in the letter.

                ‘Does he know?’ I sent my message out and stood there impatiently waiting for her reply.

                ‘Not yet. He thinks he’s coming 2 support Megan 4 prom queen. I couldn’t tell him about Banshee.’ That bit of hope I had was gone just that quick. Going to the dining room table I sat down and lay my head on the table. After a minute I responded.

                ‘He doesn’t know U read the letter does he?’ That could be the only reason why Declan didn’t already know. If she told him then he would ask her how did she know and she would have to tell him she read the letter.

                ‘Bingo. I’ve got Declan 2 come. I’ve set Banshee up 4 failure and I’ve secured a kick ass dress. Now it’s Ur turn 2 do something.’ To be honest I was kind of scared. I didn’t know what Laurie would ask of me. What if she wanted my first born child or something? I know it’s unlikely but we’re talking about Laurie here. Before I could respond she sent me another text.

                ‘Declan will B there. Make him HEAR what U have 2 say. We can do only so much. The rest is up 2 U. C U there.’ I sat there staring at my phone. Make him hear me. What did that mean?  She just said I couldn’t go near him or Katlin would be all over me like white on rice. How was I supposed to get Declan to listen to what I had to say? What if he didn’t want to listen? What if he doesn’t want to be with me anymore? I wouldn’t be mad at him. Look at what I did to him.

I got him stalked, harassed and almost killed by an unstable Todd. I told him that I loved him then dumped him in the worse way possible… with a freakin’ letter. Who does that? And to top it all off Katlin’s flaunting our ‘love’ in his face to make him more miserable. I wouldn’t be surprised if he decked me. I would deserve it. I’ve been an asshole to Declan. The worse kind of boyfriend… if he never wanted to get back with me I would understand. It would kill me but I would understand.

I sat there for the next hour occasionally checking on the kids while trying to figure out a way to make Declan hear me. I feel like Jake Gyllenhaal in that movie Source Code trying to find the bomber before my time is up. At the rate I’m going I’ll be going BOOM in no time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Prom Pic of the sexy Sean and Megan ------>