Chapter Twenty Three: M then D

Micah’s POV:

Cell Tower Authorization Code: ***-***-**

Routing Number: (785) 478-2546 Pending….

I watched as my screen lit up and Katlin’s number appeared. I didn’t want to open the text but I found myself picking up the phone anyway.

     ‘Is it done?’ I stared at the screen for ten minutes before typing my reply.

                ‘No. I need more time than a day. He was just released from the hospital. I won’t be the reason he gets rushed back in.’ Sending the message I waited for Katlin’s hell to rain down on my head. I’d been in mood ever since that day with Katlin. It would have been fine if she was just threatening me. I’ve had her threaten me before. But this was different. She was dragging Declan into this. Even though I’m sure the majority wouldn’t believe her it would be the others. The whispers behind his back, the rumors as he walked passed. It would feed like a cancer latching onto Declan’s clean and outstanding reputation poisoning him. It would destroy everything and I couldn’t let that happen.

                ‘Fine, you have until Monday to have it done.’ Closing my phone I tossed it aside and closed my eyes. I had to break up with Declan gently. It had to be as painless as possible. At that I laughed. Nothing about this situation was going to be painless. We both were going to hurt and I was going to be the one who hurt Declan the most.

Declan’s POV:

He said I should pack for the evening. I was excited. Micah told me he wanted to take me on holiday. I didn’t think my parents would let him with all the Todd nonsense but they agreed with Micah. They said I needed a fresh start. I stood in my room staring at the suitcase on my bed. He said something about a pool so I made sure to pack my trunks. I was folding my towel when McClane came into the room.

                “You alright?” He asked for the hundredth time. Looking back I picked up a shirt and folded it.

                “Yeah… I’m fine McClane. You don’t have to ask me that every hour on the hour.” Rolling his eyes he took a seat on my bed. Picking up a white box he looked it over.

                “Just checking in that’s all… Declan what’s this?” He said. Looking up I felt my eyes widen. Clearing my throat I tried not to blush.

                “That’s my dildo case.” I said as calmly as possible. I watched as McClane’s hands went still and the color drained from his face. He dropped the case as if it was a hot potato. Leaping from the bed he headed for the door.

                “You could have warned me!” He hissed. With that I didn’t see McClane anymore until Micah pulled up in the driveway. After saying my goodbyes we hit the open road. He wouldn’t tell me where we were going just that it was someplace special. As he drove I watched him through my lashes. He gently nodded his head to the radio mumbling the words to the song. Just watching him caused a dull ache in my gut.

                ‘Something is wrong.’ I thought. Micah wasn’t being himself. It was like he was trying to force this happiness on me but I could tell it didn’t reach his eyes. Someone or something had Micah on the defensive.

                ‘I wonder if it’s about Todd’s case?’ I thought again. Pulling over Micah reached into his console and pulled out a blindfold.

                “Since we’re almost there I need you to wear this.” I looked to the blindfold then to Micah. Raising a brow I watched him bat his pretty long lashes as me.