Chapter 10: A Seeker and a Chaser

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters except for some. And oh, would you be so kind and leave a comment about the chapter. Negative comments are welcome. Though, I really would prefer a postive one. Please vote if you liked it. Thank you! :D

          At three-thirty that afternoon, me, Sam, Rose and the other Gryffindors hurried down the front steps onto the grounds for our first flying lesson. It was a clear, breezy day, and the grass rippled under our feet as we marched down the sloping lawns toward a smooth, flat lawn on the opposite side of the grounds to the Forbidden Forest, whose trees were swaying darkly in the distance.

          The Slytherins were already there, and so were broomsticks lying in neat lines on the ground. I had heard Fred and James complain about school brooms, saying that some of them started to vibrate if you flew too high, or always flew slightly to the left. They were always together—even in rule breaking.

          Our teacher, Madam Hooch, arrived. She had short, very gray hair and yellow eyes like a hawk.

          "Well, what are you all waiting for?" she barked. "Everyone stand on a broomstick. Come on, hurry up."

          I glanced down at my broom. It was old and some of the twigs stuck out at odd angles.

          "Stick out your right hand over the broom," called Madam Hooch at the front and say, "Up!"

          "UP" everyone shouted.

          My broom jumped into my hands at once, but it was one of the few ones that did. Sam included. Rose's had simply rolled over on the ground. Chris's hadn't moved at all. Perhaps, brooms, like horses, could tell when you were afraid, I thought; there was a quaver in Rose's voice that said only too clearly that she wanted to keep her feet on the ground.

          Madam Hooch then showed us how to mount our brooms without sliding off at the end, and walked up and down the rows correcting our grips.

          "Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard," said Madam Hooch. "Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle, three, two, one."

          I kicked hard against the ground and up, up I soared; air rushed through my hair, and my robes whipped up behind me—and in a rush of fierce joy, I realized I'd found something I could do without being taught—this was easy, this was wonderful. I pulled my broomstick up a little to take it even higher.

          I was taken down to reality when Madam Hooch shouted, "Okay. Now, people. Lean down on your brooms and go down here. Now."

          When we all did what she had instructed, we all clapped in delight.

          "That was your first flying lesson. I would be seeing you all next week. Same time and same place," shouted Madam Hooch.

          "Mr. Potter, Ms. Riddle, Mr. Boon, Ms. Muse and Mr. Malfoy, follow me."

          We were too shocked to respond. I caught sight of Fred and James giving me thumbs-up with a triumphant look on their faces. I looked at Sam on my right and saw that she was walking numbly as we strode toward the castle.

          When we were at the front of the Entrance hall, Madam Hooch faced us and said, "Do not be worried. Hogwarts has somehow changed rules over the years. One rule was created regarding flying. Every house would be given a chance to have a first year on their team. You would be competing for your Houses on the Quidditch matches. Now, I would be heading you all to your respective House Heads and they would discuss to you the matters."

          "But, professor, there are two representatives for Gryffindor. Surely, you didn't made a mistake?" said Malfoy alarmingly.

          "Mr. Malfoy, since when did you became the Gryffindor House Head?" said Madam Hooch sarcastically, "the House Heads would be the one who'll handle this. Mr. Potter and Ms. Riddle do have potentials. It would be such a waste not to recognize."

          She accompanied us first to the greenhouses to Professor Longbottom. When he saw us coming, he gestured to Madam Hooch and said, "We have two this time, professor? Generation really is improving."

          "A Potter and a Riddle. Nice team up, don't you think?" we heard Donald whispered to Malfoy.

          We all looked at him in disbelief and annoyance. He realized it at once and hung his head in shame.

          "As what I have seen earlier, Potter would be a great Chaser while Samantha here would definitely be a good Seeker. I would leave this matter to you now, professor," Madam Hooch said to Professor Longbottom.

          As long as Madam Hooch, Donald, Dianne and Scorpius were out of earshot, Sam said to Professor Longbottom in excitement, "Are we really, professor? I don't think I'm a good flyer though," then she turned to me, "Al! I am so happy for us. We should celebrate later!"

          She said it all this in one breathe. Gosh, she knows how to be so charming.

          "Now, Sam, I know that you are so excited but I should talk to Professor McGonagall first. This would be first in the history. But I can assure you that you two would be part of the Gryffindor Quidditch Team. Congratulations. Al, your family really is talented in Quidditch. I cannot wait for your little sister," Professor said animatedly that for a moment, I thought he forgot that he was a professor.

          We went back to our common room to find ourselves congratulated by everyone. When we reached our couch, Rose hugged us so tight that I said, gasping for breath, "Rose...can't...breathe."

          She released us then laughed, "I just can't believe that you two are going to be on our team this year. It was such an honor."

          "You could be too. I hate your phobia in heights," I said to her in frustration.

          "Well, with that, I think I didn't acquire the skills from my dad. I got this phobia from my mom. Dad said she was a terrible flyer," she said in irritation.

          "That's fine, Rose. We would need you for tactics," Sam said and we all laughed.

          I can't bring myself to laugh some more because I can feel myself losing grip. The last thing I saw was the face of Sam laughing and smiling.

          Then, I was wrapped into darkness.