Chapter 4: The Defense against the Dark Arts Professor

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters except for some. And oh, would you be so kind and leave a comment about the chapter. Negative comments are welcome. Though, I really would prefer a postive one. Please vote if you liked it. Thank you! :D

          The Sorting seems like the most crucial moment of the evening. I looked down at my empty gold plate. I had only just realized how hungry I was. The Chocolate Frogs seems like ages ago.

          A very stern-looking witch had gotten to her feet. But at least, she is beaming at us; her arms open wide, as if nothing could have pleased her more than to see us all here.

          "Welcome," she said. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. As all of the older students know, Professor Lavander Brown wouldn't be teaching Defense against the Dark Arts this year because her talent was badly needed at the Ministry of Magic. A very great wizard will be replacing her at the moment until she returns. He was also a student of Hogwarts a very long time ago. Without further ado, I would like to welcome Professor Harry Potter," she finished with a graceful swift of her hands. All the students clapped along with the teachers. I can definitely say that James and I clapped the hardest.

          "Thank you, students. And let the feast begin!" She merely flicked her wand when the dishes in front of me were now piled with food. My mouth fell open.

          When we have eaten as much as we could, the remains of the food faded from the plates, leaving them sparkling clean as before. A moment later, the desserts appeared.

          What captured me the most were the strawberry cupcakes. I looked up at Sam and saw her eating very silently. She was very mysterious. As I helped myself to a strawberry cupcake, the talk turned to our families.

          "I'm half-and-half," said Christopher.

          "My mom and dad are a witch and wizard. So is Rose here," I patted Rose's shoulder. She smiled weakly.

          "How about you, Samantha?" Christopher asked curiously. I noticed how most of the Gryffindors were listening.

          "Oh. Um. My mom is a witch but I barely knew my dad. So I really do not know if I'm a half or pureblood. I don't really mind," she answered meekly.

          Everybody stared at her hopefully, waiting for her to add some more.

          I saw the relief on her face when Professor McGonagall got to her feet again. The hall fell silent.

          "Ahem—just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you.

          "First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well."

          Professor McGonagall's twinkling eyes flashed in the direction of James.

          "I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.

          "Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch.

          "And last, I must tell you that this year, the Headmistress' room on the far end of the ground floor is out-of-bounds to everyone. I saw dad's eye flicker for a moment then turned back to his normal expression.

          "And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!" cried McGonagall. I noticed that the other teacher's smile had become rather fixed.

          McGonagall gave his wand a little flick, as if she was trying to get a fly off the end, and a long golden ribbon flew out of it, which raised high above the tables and twisted itself, snakelike, into words.

          "Everyone pick their favorite tune," said McGonagall, "and off we go!"

          And the school bellowed the tune.

          When the song was finished, McGonagall motioned us to leave the hall. We—the Gryffindor first years—followed the prefect who happens to be my cousin, Fred Weasley. He is the son of my mom's brother, George Weasley. Dad told me that Uncle George had had once a twin brother. The thing is he died when they were fighting for our future. In memory of his twin brother, he named his son after Uncle Fred.

          We finally stopped in front of a big portrait of a very fat woman in a pink silk dress. "Password?" she said.

          "Sickle Ronnkins," said Fred, and the portrait swung forward to reveal a round hall in the wall. We all scrambled to it and found ourselves in the Gryffindor common room, a cozy round room full of squashy armchairs.

          Fred directed the girl through one door to the dormitory. I looked up at Samantha. She glanced at me and gave me a noticeable smile. I grinned like an idiot at her. Then, she went inside their room.

          At the top of a spiral staircase, we found our beds at last: four-posters hung with deep, red velvet curtains. Our trunks had already been brought up. Too tired to talk much, we pulled on our pajamas and fell into bed.

          "Great food, isn't it?" James muttered to me through the hangings.

          I nodded but he abruptly asked, "What's with you and that Riddle girl, huh? I thought it's not polite to stare? You're gawking at her, Al. Gawking."

          "What are you talking about? And her name's Sam not that Riddle girl!" I yelled in defense.

          "Protective so much, eh? To tell you, Al, you should not give your trust that easy. Remember, she's a Riddle. Think of what dad had told us about Voldemort," he asked with thick smugness in his voice.

          "James, Voldemort is not the only Riddle in the world. After all, maybe her father's a muggle. I would be getting to sleep now," I droned.

          I went off to sleep at once. I dreamed about Sam, Rose and I walking through a corridor. When we reached the end of the hallway, I was startled when I realized I was alone. I was facing a gigantic door with a gargoyle on either side. The door suddenly opened and a spiral staircase erupted from the floor. I followed the path and found myself facing a wooden door. I reached out for the door knob. It was unlocked so I decided to go inside. When I opened the door, I was blinded by a bright, white light.

          Then, everything went black.