Chapter 3: The Sorting of Houses

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters except for some. And oh, would you be so kind and leave a comment about the chapter. Negative comments are welcome. Though, I really would prefer a postive one. Please vote if you liked it. Thank you! :D

          The Hogwarts Express was slowing very rapidly. I looked outside and realized it was getting dark. I could see mountains and forests under a deep purple sky.

          A voice echoed through the train, "We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train; it will be taken to the school separately."

          My stomach lurched with nerves and saw Rose feel the same. Sam on the other hand looked relatively calm. And gorgeous.

          The train slowed right down and finally stopped. People pushed their way toward the door and out on to a tiny, dark platform. I shivered on the cold, night air. Then a lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students, and I heard someone calling my name: "All right there, Albus?

          I nodded and beamed at him. I saw him gave me a broad smile over the sea of heads.

          "Firs' years! Firs' years over here! C'mon follow me—anymore firs' years? Mind yer step now! Firs' years follow me!"

          Slipping and tumbling, we followed Hagrid down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. It was so dark on either side of us that I thought there must be thick trees there. Nobody spoke much.

          "Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

          There was a loud "Oooooh!"

          "No more'n four to a boat," Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore. Rose and I were followed silently by Sam and a black-haired boy who was not actually paying attention on where he was going but gawking at her. Too much early for a rival.

          "Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself. "Right then—FORWARD!"

          And the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding across the lake, which was smooth as glass. All of us were silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over us as we sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.

          "Heads down!" yelled Hagrid as the first boats reached the cliff, we all bent our heads and the little boats carried us through a curtain of ivy that hid a wide opening in the cliff face. We were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking us underneath the castle, until we reached a kind of underground harbour, where we clambered out onto rocks and pebbles.

          Hagrid was checking the boats as we climbed out of them. Then, we clambered a passageway in the rock after Hagrid's lamp, coming out at last onto a smooth, damp grass right in the shadow of the castle.

          We walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around the huge, oak front door.

          "Everyone here?"

          Hagrid raised a gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castle door.

          The door swung open at once. A tall, blonde-haired witch stood there. She had a very angelic smile but my very first thought of her was she was really weird. She seems out of place because of her sun-yellow robes.

          "The firs' years, Professor Lovegood," said Hagrid.

          "Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here," she said in a singsong voice.