Chapter 8: The Prince's Portrait

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters except for some. And oh, would you be so kind and leave a comment about the chapter. Negative comments are welcome. Though, I really would prefer a postive one. Please vote if you liked it. Thank you! :D

          That night turned very dark and cold. The Great Hall was full of the cheerful chatter of everyone looking forward to the Headmistress' announcement. The four long house tables were laden with tureens of porridge, plates of kippers, mountains of toast, and dishes of eggs and bacon beneath the enchanted ceiling. Sam, Rose and I sat down at the Gryffindor table next to Christopher, who had his copy of Daily Prophet propped open against a milk jug.

          "Hey, Al. Did you hear about the break-in in the headmistress' office? I wonder what's in there. It must be very important," rattled Chris through mouthfuls of food.

          "Yeah. Just read it earlier. I was wondering the same thing. I was actually expecting that today's announcement would be about the break-in," I answered as I put food on my plate.

          We ate our dinner in silence. Sam was now wearing the red locket. I glanced at my own green locket silently. What I saw made my eyes popped in surprise. I can see myself looking down. It was as if the locket was a spy camera.

          I was amazed and scared at the same time. I was going to look out for the daughter of the late Voldemort. I do not know if it was the right thing or not. It made me think that maybe telling this to Rose would help me.

          After we ate our dessert, Professor McGonagall rose to her seat and waited for us to keep silent.

          Naturally, we kept silent at once.

          "Good evening, students. Tonight is a very big opportunity to all Quidditch enthusiasts. The Ministry of Magic had decided to build a team to compete for the Quidditch World Cup. The Minister is here tonight to explain this further. Mr. Shacklebolt?" she motioned the man on the right of her chair to come forward.

          "Good evening, students. I am Kingsley Shacklebolt, your Minster. I am here tonight to offer you all an opportunity to join the England National Quidditch Team," he said with a deep, husky voice.

          Loud whispers erupted inside the Great Hall.

          "Silence," Professor McGonagall said firmly. That kept us quiet.

          "I admire your courage and interest. This opportunity is open to all. But of course, not all would be admitted. So to help me find the best Quidditch players, I would be judging with Ms. Gwenog Jones, former captain of the all-witch Quidditch team Holyhead Harpies. Ms. Jones would be here after the winter break. This is to give the first years the chance to be familiar with the said sport. Yes, first years are also allowed. But they will not play until they reach their second year. They will just be trained hard by our captain. That would be all. Thank you," Shacklebolt finished then went back to his seat.

          The whole hall burst into applause but stopped abruptly when Professor McGonagall stood again.

          "Thank you, minister. Now, off to your common rooms," she said.

          As we were standing up, I suddenly remembered what Hagrid said earlier that day.

          "Sam, Rose, I'll just meet you at the common room. I am going to talk to Professor McGonagall," I said as I was walking hurriedly to the staff's table.