Mismatched Compatibility (8)

Dana:

Dakota and Alyson stared expectantly at me, while we all sat around the counter in the kitchen of Dakota's home. She prepared a bottle of orange juice and cookies as snacks while we had our girl talk.

It quite surprised me to find out that it was only next to Aaron's house - literally next to it. Somehow, it made me wonder if they grew up together. But my assumptions were confirmed when I saw their childhood pictures along the hallway on the way to the dining area. How lovely would it have been if they started as best friends before they turned into lovers?

"So what exactly is the deal between you and Ethan?" asked Dakota suddenly, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Well . . ." I bit my lip. How should I explain my complicated situation with Ethan? If I was being honest, I wasn't sure I quite understand it myself.

"You could start at the beginning . . ?" suggested Alyson, as if reading my thoughts.

I nodded slowly, considering the idea. I needed to get this out of me. I badly needed a girl advice from them because they had the same world where Ethan revolved in. They knew him better than I did.

Besides, Dakota and Alyson looked genuinely good people. I learned early enough to tell the difference between fake people from truly kind ones.

So I told them everything, starting from Ethan's failed attempt to hit on me at the National Airport up to the present. I left no details - well, aside from the fact that every now and then I feel this strong urge to put Ethan's lips on mine. I was embarrassed enough as it is without having to say it out loud.

When I finished talking, they stared at me for what felt like ages. They weren't moving at all. They only gazed at me blankly, with their mouths slightly open as though in amazement. Until finally, Dakota closed her mouth and nodded.

"You're awesome," she commented approvingly. "Despite the fact that it's icky gross that you kissed Tyler, I like you. The girls smart enough not to succumb to his charms aren't that many anymore," she added a-matter-of-factly.

"Hey, Ethan's not that bad," argued Alyson.

"Yeah," snorted Dakota, rolling her eyes, "when he's drunk."

"I believe he's matured quite a bit over the past years."

"Highly doubt it," muttered Dakota, looking away for a moment. When she returned her eyes, they looked thoughtfully straight at me. "But you know, I've never seen him get that protective over a girl," she added, her voice clear with curiosity.

I faintly noticed Alyson slowly nod in agreement, but I ignored her. All that got my attention was the sudden pounding of my heart against my chest. I wasn't quite sure why that little information made me feel tingles at the back of my neck, but it did.

"Could it be that Ethan likes you?" wondered Alyson.

I blinked. "N - No," I stammered indignantly. "I get on his nerves as much as he does on mine."

"Then, why would he mention the birds and the bees?" shrugged Dakota.

Alyson burst out laughing. "He looked so determined, too."

I frowned in confusion. "I have no idea what that means."

They stared at me as if I came from another planet. I probably should be getting accustomed to receiving looks like that. Dakota was the first to recover, lightly shaking her head and clearing her throat.

"It means sexual intercourse," she explained to me casually.

My eyes widened when her words sunk in me. I didn't know if I should be relieved that it wasn't anything that was going to physically hurt me or scared that horrifyingly Ethan swore he'd do that with me. So I reacted they way I deemed appropriate in the situation.

I laughed. "He never gives up, does he? Well, good luck with that."

"I would be extremely bothered if I were you," said Dakota, cringing slightly.

No need to mention that I'm already hot and bothered because of him.

I rapidly shook my head, trying to rid of that foul thought again. But I couldn't deny this time that it was true. He did make me feel that way.

"Why?" I asked Dakota, tilting my head curiously.

"He's Ethan Tyler, girl," answered Alyson, as though that explained everything.

My brows furrowed as I tried to make out what they meant.

"Don't worry, though," added Dakota. "He won't take advantage of you. He may be a jerkface, but he's not that low."

"That's reassuring," I breathed out, before putting the cold glass of orange juice to my lips. I couldn't quite keep the sarcasm from my voice.

"Take it from Dakota," said Alyson, giving me a smile. "She almost never compliments Ethan. So when she does compliment him, it's the truth."

I considered it. Besides, it wasn't like I would let him do it with me then boast it to his friends. It wasn't even like I would do it with him - just like that. I wasn't that kind of girl. Absolutely no way.

My eyes wandered around the kitchen in hopes to distract myself, when a picture on the refrigerator caught my eye. I carefully hopped off the counter to get a better look at it.

In the photo was a boy and a girl, wearing white togas. The boy was grinning broadly, while the girl looked uncomfortable with her cheeks appeared a little puffy. She was obviously eating when the picture was taken.

The couple in the photograph were Aaron and Dakota.

"So what's the story with you and Aaron?" I asked, not taking my eyes off their picture. They looked so young and cute. It was obvious that it was during their High School Graduation.

Alyson laughed again. "You guys have something in common."

At that, I turned to look at her and saw her still giggling in amusement.

"What?" Dakota and I asked Alyson at the same time.

"Both of you have such complicated love stories."

I caught Dakota's eyes. After a moment, she sighed - but smiling, nonetheless.

"The story's too long for me to tell," she told me. "But you can read it on Wattpad. It's a site for stories, and my cousin is technically a writer there. She wrote our story and uploaded it on the site."

"You gave her permission to do that?"

"The readers don't have an idea if it's a true story or not," shrugged Dakota. "Besides, I wanna share the lesson I learned so others could take a chance, too."

"What's the lesson?" I asked, not being able to help myself.

She gave me a soft smile. "Every dream is worth the risk."