Mismatched Compatibility (4)

Ethan:

Damn, I didn’t realize how much I missed my hometown.

I laughed suddenly, realizing how sentimental I was being. I shook my head at my silliness. My free hand flew up to my face, running it through my hair.

This was probably because of my lack of sleep.

As soon I entered the threshold, childhood memories came crashing back into my mind. I guessed I really couldn't help but feel bit mushy about my coming back home. Besides, it had been a while since I had been here.

The high ceiling where there was a crystal chandelier reminded me of the time I tried to jump from the railing of the upper floor to that same chandelier in order for me to dangle on it like a monkey.

I was nine years old then.

Laughing to myself, I walked to my right into the living room where the fireplace was. The room was pretty big compared to an ordinary house's one. There was at least two big sofas, four armchairs, and three window couches. And by the west wall was the family trophy case – most of it were mine.

I checked if there was anybody home. But as always, there was no one but me.

I went back to the center hall, and straight to the music area. It was kind of like the second living room – with only a big couch and two armchairs. But this time, there was a piano at the corner of the room. There was also a wide ceiling to floor window that lead to the garden outside.

Again, not a living soul.

I ran a hand through my head.

It wasn't really surprising. I was actually used to my parents not being at home. They never were – too busy mingling with their business partners and clients to spend time with their only son.

Not that I minded much. Like I said, I was used to it. No worries at all. Besides, I basically got to do and have whatever I wanted. So I didn't have a right to sulk like a whining forsaken child.

Turning around, I decided to go to my room. As I climbed the round staircase that touched the wall dividing the center hall from the living room, I looked at the pictures that hung at the side.

The photos were all very formal and properly aligned. Of course, my mom hired a professional photographer for most of them.

There was a picture of the three of us, when I was only three. Another one when I about seven years old, with all of our relatives. The next one was during my puberty, around thirteen. There was a picture of me when I was in my Football uniform in Middle School, beside it was a picture of me in my Basketball uniform in high school – in between them was a picture of me in my Baseball uniform during one summer in my teenage years.

Then, there was when I graduated from high school. And the last photo was only recently, during my college graduation in Georgetown.

There were a few more self-portraits, but I couldn't wait to get to my room and chill while I waited for Mom and Dad to get back from wherever the heck they were.

When I reached the second floor, I turned right and passed several guest rooms before I reached my room at the end of the hall. The whole of third floor – basically, it was the attic but the space was too large that 'attic' didn't cover it – contained the master's bedroom.

A wide grin appeared on my face when my eyes landed on the door that lead to my bedroom. It used to have stickers that said, “Stay Out!”, “No Parents Allowed”, “Danger Ahead”, and “Do Not Disturb”. But now, it was bare white.