Mismatched Compatibility (28)

Dana:

This baby was so adorable, I could honestly play with him forever.

“You're so cute,” I giggled, as I made funny faces at baby Lincoln.

His eyes twinkled as he laughed, only making me adore him more. He was a perfect mixture of Brian and Kim; her ash brown hair and his dark green eyes. Only five months old, and this baby got everyone all wrapped up with his little finger.

Brian and Kim were childhood best friends before they got together in their junior year in high school. They married in the middle of their college years, during which I met Luke and Alyson because this was quite a small world.

They reminded me of Aaron and Dakota back in New Jersey, who also started out as best friends before getting into a relationship. In turn, thinking of that couple made my mind drift of to Ethan.

My heart squeezed at the thought of him. I longed to see him again; to see those blue eyes twinkle in mischief; and to see them grow with intensity as he looked at me. However, I wasn't sure if that would happen in the near future.

This morning . . . was most probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I didn't want to leave his bed. I didn't want to get out of his possessive embrace.

I wanted to stay. Goodness, I wanted to stay.

But I thought to myself: how long would we keep doing that? How long until he grew tired of me? How long would it take us before one of us realized we were fate's mistake? I wasn't sure if I could take the heartbreak, especially when I've never been so in love with someone like I had with Ethan.

I remember sobbing as I quickly packed my bags in my guest room. I avoided running into anyone in the household as I left. I hailed a cab and called Dakota to inform her what I was doing. Someone should at least know before I fully disappeared from Mount Valley.

I closed my eyes and shook my head.

I've been depressed all day. Thankfully, this little toddler had been the perfect distraction. I smiled at him, brushing his thin hair. I buried my face in his chubby little stomach, causing him to laugh.

I was supposed to be mingling with the guests but I didn't want to. I didn't care if my father was looking at me strangely because I was usually the social butterfly. He wasn't used to seeing my stay in one place.

I've been playing with Lincoln for over an hour now. Honestly, I felt relaxed to be with my friends. I wanted to spend time with them, catch up with them.

“Do you think your mommy would let me steal you from her?” I teased lightly, glancing at Kim.

Kim gracefully laughed beside me. Her long brown hair was up in a bun, with loose curls framing her face. She had always been so elegant without her trying. She was born to be high-class.

“His daddy surely won't let you do that,” said Brian, with a crooked smile. His clean-cut black hair contrasted his fair skin and green eyes.

“Wait 'til he pulls your hair,” chuckled Karl. “If baby Lincoln wasn't so darn cute, he would've gotten told off by Todd for pulling Maxine's hair too much.”

Karl used to dye his hair flaming red during his teenage years, and then he would stick it up in a spike. It looked quite edgy, very far from his childish (and sometimes innocent) personality. Now, he got over that phase and let its natural brown color show. He wore it short, but still a little spiky.

I felt sad for him, really. Whenever I looked at him, I remember seeing the broken guy who lost his high school sweetheart years ago. I never really knew the whole story, just that she broke things off right before leaving for college. I think she was his 'one that got away.'