Mismatched Compatibility (25)

MONDAY

Ethan:

I couldn't stop grinning the moment I woke up. Huh. So this was how it felt like to be euphoric – to feel complete. No wonder why my best friends didn't mind being pvssy whipped all these years. It was fucking worth it.

Last night had definitely changed everything for me.

It sealed the deal.

I slowly opened my eyes, expecting to see a blonde beauty beside me. I wanted to mark my girl before we got out of bed. I wanted her to be my own personal breakfast.

But it was empty.

I blinked. The smile was instantly wiped from my face and I frowned, sudden panic surging through me.

She wouldn't.

I bolted up, grabbed my boxers, and put it on. My heart was beating fast and wild. I tried to calm myself down. I told myself that maybe she just went to her room to change or something. The possibility of her . . .

“No,” I growled to myself, shaking my head.

She wouldn't leave.

I made a run to the door, not bothering to put on a shirt. I headed straight to Daniella's room. The door was open. It only made me freak out more and hurry my steps. When I got there, I barged inside.

Empty.

The bed was made. No bags in sight.

It looked like a guest room again, as if it wasn't even used.

She fucking left.

I took a deep breath and looked away as I let that thought sink in. I shook my head, not wanting to believe that this was happening. I didn't even realize that I was panting, trying hard to breathe because it felt like the fucking air left the room with her.

She didn't even say goodbye. What the hell?

My hands turned into fists. I looked around the room, wanting to break something, when a piece of paper on the corner of the bed caught my eye. I walked over to it and picked it up. I sat down on the edge of the bed as I stared at the note.

Ethan,

I'm sorry if I forced myself into your life unexpectedly. You were kind to let me stay at your home and introduce me to your family and friends. They were warm and welcoming. Please thank them for me. And of course, thank you for everything. You've taught me so much about life, about how I shouldn't be afraid to be myself and how I should live more. I will forever owe you for that.

However, I think it's time to go back to reality. As much as I love being with you and feeling like there's something more with us, I need to be realistic. You haven't made it clear whether this is a long term thing. I'm assuming it isn't, because how will that work out? I'll go back to Yale in the fall. You'll do what you do and be great at your chosen career. I'm not quite sure you'd even want a relationship. I'm sorry. I'm silly for even considering that possibility, aren't I?

I will never forget my time with you. Your life is my dream life. I'm so glad to be part of it even for just a short while. It was the best escape any girl like me could ever imagine. Thank you for seeing me for me. xx

PS. I won't be a burden to you anymore. Go live.

-Dana

I crumpled the paper in my hand and threw it away. I took another deep breath as I leaned my elbows on my knees and rubbed my face with my hands.

She kept telling me not to decide for her, but she was the one who decided for me. Haven't I made it clear that I wanted more with her? What the fuck did she think I was doing all this time? What, did she think that my sole goal was to have sex with her and that was it? Did she really think that low of me?