Mismatched Compatibility (13)

Dana:

“You should've told me that you wanted to leave.”

I shot up from my position at that voice. Ethan had his arms crossed as he stared at me with a smug look on his face. No doubt he was checking me out before he decided to inform me of his presence.

For some odd reason, I felt a tingling sensation in my stomach, my arms, and my legs. It must be because of the summer night breeze. I didn't want to think about the other option.

“I didn't want to disturb you,” I told him simply.

He snorted. “You've disturbed me the moment you kicked these boys,” he said, pointing to his . . . Er, you know.

I winced. “Sorry about that. You deserved it, though.”

That made him laugh. He was still chortling as he made his way to the lounge chair beside mine. He kicked off his shoes and laid his back, putting his arms behind his head and staring up at the night sky.

I returned to my former position. It was quiet for a couple of moments, then I said, “Your world reminds me of One Tree Hill.”

He whipped his head sideways in surprise. He looked at me, as though he was seeing me for the first time.

“You watch One Tree Hill?” he demanded.

My eyes widened. “You watch One Tree Hill?” I asked in pure disbelief.

I absolutely loved One Tree Hill. No words could explain how much that show saved me. From what, I wasn't sure. However, I learned so much from it.

When I mentioned it, I didn't actually expected him to understand what I said.

“Of course,” he answered a-matter-of-factly. “It's all about Basketball, ain't it?”

I rolled my eyes, amused. Typical of him.

“At least,” he added. “I watched the first four seasons of it.”

“Those were the times they were in high school,” I remarked.

He nodded. “Exactly. But then it got less of Basketball and more of drama. Why the hell would I watch more of that crap?”

“I didn't see you as someone who would watch a television series.”

“Told you,” he smirked. “You don't know me.”

“I'm starting to.”

He stared at me for a moment. It must have been my imagination, but I thought I saw solemnity in his eyes.

“Yeah, me too,” he said. “So what's the deal?”

I looked at him with a confused expression.

“You look like you're running away from something.”

I didn't speak right away. “I'm not,” I mumbled.

“Uh-huh.” He was skeptical. “If you don't explain the thing in the airport, I'm gonna assume that you're a stalker and you have the hots for me all along.”

I rolled my eyes, but I was inwardly smiling. “Fine.”

So I told him about not wanting to come home just for a little while longer. Being away for college didn't quite satisfy my need to be in a different world because the people I was with were basically the same. I admitted to him that I saw an opportunity in the airport to get away and I grabbed it.

Then, Ethan asked the question I couldn't quite explain myself.

“What's up with the kiss?”

If truth be told, it wasn't necessary. I just wanted to show Peter that I moved on and he need not worry about me any longer. I got the shock of my life when I got more than what I bargained for.