Mismatched Compatibility (21)

SUNDAY

Ethan:

I haven't had a proper sleep since Daniella came into my life, which was about two days ago. I just couldn't stop thinking about her.

Shit, that sounded so fucking whipped.

I sighed and got out of the shower. I dressed in a plain white shirt and cargo shorts. I nodded to myself when I looked in the mirror. When I got out of the bathroom, I started packing some clothes in my gym bag for later.

Walking towards my window, I heard my mom's voice from down on the pool side. I wondered if I should come out clean with her about this whole fake relationship I had with Daniella. It wasn't like we made a public announcement. In fact, I bet only the old people who hung out at the clubhouse knew about it.

“Ah, fuck it,” I muttered, turning around and headed out the door.

I left my room, walked down the stairs, and went straight outside to the pool. There I saw my mom talking on her phone as she sat on one of the lounge chairs. She looked like she was ready for a day in the sun.

“Mornin',” I greeted casually as I sat beside her.

She stared at me for a moment through her sunglasses, obviously surprised for some reason. When she recovered, she said on the phone, “Hold on for a moment, Rose. I'll call you back.” She hung up, then faced me. “Good morning, darling.”

Right. I don't usually greet them in the morning. Oh, well.

“Your father and I will be attending an event in the city tonight,” she informed me a-matter-of-factly. “We won't be home till past midnight at the least.”

This wasn't news to me. So I shrugged.

“Whatever.”

“What matter did you come to talk about?” she asked, before taking a sip from her glass of juice.

I eyed her. “How'd you know?”

“Give me credit,” she said, raising an eyebrow. “I'm your mother.”

I just snorted.

“And of course, you never bother to actually sit with me in the morning.”

I smirked at that.

“I'm waiting, Ethan Xavier.”

Damn it.

“Dana's not really my girlfriend,” I finally admitted.

She didn't speak for a couple of seconds. Then, she sighed and looked away.

“I knew it.”

I stared at her. “You knew?”

“I had a hunch.”

I waited for the interrogation. But it didn't come.

“Aren't you gonna ask what happened?”

She gracefully shook her head. “Spare me the details please.”

I sighed in relief. I didn't like explaining.

“But you know, I honestly thought you kids would go with it until Daniella has to go back to the city.” She faced me again. “What brought this sudden honesty?”

I leaned my back on the chair and wandered my eyes to the pool.

“I just thought you should know before you started making wedding plans,” I replied indifferently.